From: Daniel Egeberg on
On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 22:56, Williams, Dewey <williams(a)uncc.edu> wrote:
>> Oh, I have checked my mailinglist subsribtions and only 11  of  113
>> are using this stupid Reply-To:  stuff...  But as I already mentioned,
>> those lists have manly Windows-Noobs which do not know better...
>> speak,  they can not use there brain and let Microsoft and Co thinking
>> for them..
>>
>> Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
>>     Michelle Konzack
>>     Systemadministrator
>  [Dewey Williams]
>
> No need to get nasty.  Some people MUST use Windows and OUTLOOK! (which
> does not have reply to list) where they work.

And some people choose Windows of their own free will. Linux is not
for everyone, and anyone who is bigoted enough to think so need to get
over themselves. Trying to impose one's choice of operating system (or
anything else for that matter) onto someone else is plain ridiculous.

--
Daniel Egeberg
From: Dan Joseph on
My goodness, are you people still going on about all this? LOL... let it
go... it is what it is.

--
-Dan Joseph

www.canishosting.com - Unlimited Hosting Plans start @ $3.95/month. Promo
Code "NEWTHINGS" for 10% off initial order

http://www.facebook.com/canishosting
http://www.facebook.com/originalpoetry
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 15:55 -0500, Karl DeSaulniers wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2010, at 1:51 PM, Jay Blanchard wrote:
>
> > Then write an interface (using PHP of course) that
> > only responds to the list when you generate a reply.
>
> LOL
> WT??
>
> WHY would we want to do that? Much unnecessary work when an admin
> could set a reply-to and all would be solved.
> With all due respect, if I was going to go through all that trouble
> just so I could hit reply instead of reply-all or reply-list or reply-
> group,
> I would write an email list program that discussed PHP (in PHP) and I
> would set the reply-to to go to my list email.
> :)
>
> Not to mention, the admin can set all of them to go to the list email.
>
> reply-to
> reply-list
> reply-group
>
> They just have to set the headers to point there. Much easier than
> what was suggested.
>
> That aside, I think David was just wondering why it was set up that
> way in the first part.
> More a question for a admin, then the list, but it is on the list
> none the less.
> I would have sent that one to the Admin directly.
>
> It is curious though, why the admin of the PHP lists depend on
> special case scenarios such as reply-list or reply-group.
> To me, thats kind of like saying you can only click buttons on our
> website if you use Internet Explorer.
> Everyone else has to view the source and copy the urls to navigate.
>
> Best,
>
> Karl DeSaulniers
> Design Drumm
> http://designdrumm.com

I believe Dan Brown mentioned a very good reason why this is not as
simple an issue as just changing the reply-to. Not everyone who posts to
the list subscribes to the list, so being copied into the emails is good
for them. Suddenly changing the way things work could actually be
detrimental to the list. Imagine how many people joined up *after*
posting a question and receiving a good answer.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Peter Lind on
On 22 April 2010 12:14, Ashley Sheridan <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> I believe Dan Brown mentioned a very good reason why this is not as
> simple an issue as just changing the reply-to. Not everyone who posts to
> the list subscribes to the list, so being copied into the emails is good
> for them. Suddenly changing the way things work could actually be
> detrimental to the list. Imagine how many people joined up *after*
> posting a question and receiving a good answer.

That wouldn't change - they only get copied in when you choose
'reply-all' and that would work the same whether or not a 'reply-to'
is used.

Regards
Peter

--
<hype>
WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 17:06 +0200, Peter Lind wrote:

> On 22 April 2010 12:14, Ashley Sheridan <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> > I believe Dan Brown mentioned a very good reason why this is not as
> > simple an issue as just changing the reply-to. Not everyone who posts to
> > the list subscribes to the list, so being copied into the emails is good
> > for them. Suddenly changing the way things work could actually be
> > detrimental to the list. Imagine how many people joined up *after*
> > posting a question and receiving a good answer.
>
> That wouldn't change - they only get copied in when you choose
> 'reply-all' and that would work the same whether or not a 'reply-to'
> is used.
>
> Regards
> Peter

It would change for the first reply. You say you just want to hit reply
to reply to the list. Now if anyone hits reply, because the reply-to'
header has been changed, the reply goes to the list and not the op.
They're not subscribed and so they miss out.

The way things stand, hitting reply instead of reply to all sends the
reply back to the op only. It happens on this list often and doesn't
cause many issues as the op or replyer notices and sends/copies the list
back in again.

Changing the reply-to header would mean that if someone just hit reply,
the unsubscribed op wouldn't get the reply at all, and any further
replies to that thread would all be to the list only and the
unsubscribed op would never know.