From: Peter Lind on
On 22 April 2010 17:05, Ashley Sheridan <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 17:06 +0200, Peter Lind wrote:
>
> On 22 April 2010 12:14, Ashley Sheridan <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> > I believe Dan Brown mentioned a very good reason why this is not as
> > simple an issue as just changing the reply-to. Not everyone who posts to
> > the list subscribes to the list, so being copied into the emails is good
> > for them. Suddenly changing the way things work could actually be
> > detrimental to the list. Imagine how many people joined up *after*
> > posting a question and receiving a good answer.
>
> That wouldn't change - they only get copied in when you choose
> 'reply-all' and that would work the same whether or not a 'reply-to'
> is used.
>
> Regards
> Peter
>

> It would change for the first reply. You say you just want to hit reply to reply to the list. Now if anyone hits reply, because the reply-to' header has been changed, the reply goes to the list and not the op. They're not subscribed and so they miss out.

You seem to forget the amount of people stating "remove the other
addresses" from the "reply-all" response. Also, if you don't want to
subscribe to a mailing list, the onus is really on you to make sure
you get the response if any comes.

> The way things stand, hitting reply instead of reply to all sends the reply back to the op only. It happens on this list often and doesn't cause many issues as the op or replyer notices and sends/copies the list back in again.

It's rather annoying and easily avoided. The question is whether this
problem is bigger than people not subscribed to the list not getting a
response, because people use "reply" instead of "reply all".

> Changing the reply-to header would mean that if someone just hit reply, the unsubscribed op wouldn't get the reply at all, and any further replies to that thread would all be to the list only and the unsubscribed op would never know.

Emailing a mailing list and expecting an automated response is ... I
don't want to be negative or arrogant, but I think there's a general
and rather problematic lack of experience there. It's a bit like
walking past a group of people, yelling a question at them, then
expecting one of them to run back to you with the answer after you've
passed. Would you normally expect that kind of behaviour?
Apart from that, if in the current scenario you just hit 'reply' and
send the email off to the OP, the list doesn't get the benefit - and
the OP is not going to change that fact, as they're not subscribed to
the list and won't notice anyway. Which is worse, one person having to
check the answer by looking at the mailing list archive or the rest of
the list not benefiting at all from the answer?

Regards
Peter

--
<hype>
WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 17:35 +0200, Peter Lind wrote:

> Which is worse, one person having to
> check the answer by looking at the mailing list archive or the rest of
> the list not benefiting at all from the answer?

Well, as that one person was the one who needed the help enough to ask
the question in the first place...

I just don't agree that the reply-to field should be changed. Most email
clients are intelligent enough to recognise mailing lists when they see
them, and those that aren't, well, I don't think the world should have
to change to fit in with poor software. I know that often people don't
have a choice with what is installed on a computer, but surely it's
better trying to speak to whoever is in-charge of that to ask them to
change their procedures than get however many shared systems (i.e.
mailing lists) to change their methods?

I guess I'm too far gone down the open source route now to 'get' the
closed source problems that many people face in their offices. If I
don't like a piece of software, I can choose different software, contact
the developers, or even attempt to create a workaround myself.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Michelle Konzack on
Hello Karl DeSaulniers,

> WHY would we want to do that? Much unnecessary work when an admin
> could set a reply-to and all would be solved.
> With all due respect, if I was going to go through all that trouble
> just so I could hit reply instead of reply-all or reply-list or
> reply-group,

And WHY do you want to restrict my freedom to choose to which I can
respond? This is something like censorship!

Oh, there ARE Mail-Cients for Windows which understand reply-all and
reply-list and reply-group

> They just have to set the headers to point there. Much easier than
> what was suggested.

This is associal!

> It is curious though, why the admin of the PHP lists depend on
> special case scenarios such as reply-list or reply-group.
> To me, thats kind of like saying you can only click buttons on our
> website if you use Internet Explorer.
> Everyone else has to view the source and copy the urls to navigate.

On some of my pages you will be kicked off if you come in with Infernal
Exploder. Hahaha!

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator

itsystems(a)tdnet France itsystems(a)tdnet UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Gesch. Michelle Konzack Gesch. Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)
50, rue de Soultz Kinzigstraße 17
67100 Strasbourg/France 77694 Kehl/Germany
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil Tel: +49-177-9351947 mobil
Tel: +33-9-52705884 fix

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle(a)jabber.ccc.de
ICQ #328449886

From: =?UTF-8?Q?Hans_=C3=85hlin?= on
Is this the new "threading support" thread?!?!

Why don't nuke everything then its nothing to use or complain about...

Hans Åhlin
Tel: +46761488019
http://www.kronan-net.com/
irc://irc.freenode.net:6667 - TheCoin

From: Karl DeSaulniers on
:)

On Apr 22, 2010, at 2:26 PM, Michelle Konzack wrote:

> Hello Karl DeSaulniers,
>
> Am 2010-04-21 15:55:41, hacktest Du folgendes herunter:
>> WHY would we want to do that? Much unnecessary work when an admin
>> could set a reply-to and all would be solved.
>> With all due respect, if I was going to go through all that trouble
>> just so I could hit reply instead of reply-all or reply-list or
>> reply-group,
>
> And WHY do you want to restrict my freedom to choose to which
> I can
> respond? This is something like censorship!

? I think you read wrong. I wouldn't be hindering your ability to use
other reply buttons.
Nothing anyone really can do about the reply-all. if they are going
to reply-all then they are the ones choosing that.
When I hit reply though, just reply and not reply-all, list, or
group, I think it should go back to the list. thats all.

You can hit any reply button you like. ;)

> Oh, there ARE Mail-Cients for Windows which understand reply-
> all and
> reply-list and reply-group

I am on a Mac, so I don't know what this comment has to do with me.
I think your referring to the Windows users comment someone else said.
The point I had was that there is no need to have a message from the
list reply back to the poster, but the list.

>> They just have to set the headers to point there. Much easier than
>> what was suggested.
>
> This is associal!

No opensocial..
I wouldnt be against setting the reply-list and reply-group for other
people. :)

>> It is curious though, why the admin of the PHP lists depend on
>> special case scenarios such as reply-list or reply-group.
>> To me, thats kind of like saying you can only click buttons on our
>> website if you use Internet Explorer.
>> Everyone else has to view the source and copy the urls to navigate.
>
> On some of my pages you will be kicked off if you come in with
> Infernal
> Exploder. Hahaha!

lol

> Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
> Michelle Konzack
> Systemadministrator

But alas, I am done. There really is nothing I can do but accept how
the process is set up.
It is not the most efficient list, but one of the best in terms of
people and knowledge,
so like I said before, I will keep deleting emails.

Best,

Karl DeSaulniers
Design Drumm
http://designdrumm.com