From: Al-hphdx on
Hi,
The PC is in the dumpster so the pressure is off. compaq 7000H
setup: P3 800, AMD duron 1.2 GHz, 3X256 PC133, 20 GB drive, XP home.
Symptom: error msg on power up, no operating system found.

what I did:
1: check bios to see if hard drive was there, sometimes it was, sometimes it
wasn't
2: tried different EIDE cables
3: tried different drives with different os on them down to win95
4: cleared cmos
5: replaced cmos battery because it measured 2.7 Volts.
6: got bios flash from mobo manu website.
7: put same on floppy disk
8: booted with win98se disk
9: couldn't flash bios, why? no hard drive found.
10: removed optical cable and used 2nd eide controller
11: put in dumpster

no matter what I tried, oh yeah, also stripped it down to only
one stick memory, and the hard drive, I could not get the system
to boot. I also could not get the bios to save the changes i made
and sometimes I was unable to make changes to the bios. So,
I thought the bios chip on the mobo was either bad, or its information
corrupted.

Did I make a wrong diagnosis? Did I miss something?

Thanks for taking the time to read the above.

Al

From: GlowingBlueMist on
Al-hphdx wrote:
> Hi,
> The PC is in the dumpster so the pressure is off. compaq 7000H
> setup: P3 800, AMD duron 1.2 GHz, 3X256 PC133, 20 GB drive, XP home.
> Symptom: error msg on power up, no operating system found.
>
> what I did:
> 1: check bios to see if hard drive was there, sometimes it was,
> sometimes it wasn't
> 2: tried different EIDE cables
> 3: tried different drives with different os on them down to win95
> 4: cleared cmos
> 5: replaced cmos battery because it measured 2.7 Volts.
> 6: got bios flash from mobo manu website.
> 7: put same on floppy disk
> 8: booted with win98se disk
> 9: couldn't flash bios, why? no hard drive found.
> 10: removed optical cable and used 2nd eide controller
> 11: put in dumpster
>
> no matter what I tried, oh yeah, also stripped it down to only
> one stick memory, and the hard drive, I could not get the system
> to boot. I also could not get the bios to save the changes i made
> and sometimes I was unable to make changes to the bios. So,
> I thought the bios chip on the mobo was either bad, or its information
> corrupted.
>
> Did I make a wrong diagnosis? Did I miss something?
>
> Thanks for taking the time to read the above.
>
> Al

No where did I see a swapped power supply or checked for bulging or leaking
capacitors. Either of them can cause the symptoms you write about.

From: Paul on
GlowingBlueMist wrote:
> Al-hphdx wrote:
>> Hi,
>> The PC is in the dumpster so the pressure is off. compaq 7000H
>> setup: P3 800, AMD duron 1.2 GHz, 3X256 PC133, 20 GB drive, XP home.
>> Symptom: error msg on power up, no operating system found.
>>
>> what I did:
>> 1: check bios to see if hard drive was there, sometimes it was,
>> sometimes it wasn't
>> 2: tried different EIDE cables
>> 3: tried different drives with different os on them down to win95
>> 4: cleared cmos
>> 5: replaced cmos battery because it measured 2.7 Volts.
>> 6: got bios flash from mobo manu website.
>> 7: put same on floppy disk
>> 8: booted with win98se disk
>> 9: couldn't flash bios, why? no hard drive found.
>> 10: removed optical cable and used 2nd eide controller
>> 11: put in dumpster
>>
>> no matter what I tried, oh yeah, also stripped it down to only
>> one stick memory, and the hard drive, I could not get the system
>> to boot. I also could not get the bios to save the changes i made
>> and sometimes I was unable to make changes to the bios. So,
>> I thought the bios chip on the mobo was either bad, or its information
>> corrupted.
>>
>> Did I make a wrong diagnosis? Did I miss something?
>>
>> Thanks for taking the time to read the above.
>>
>> Al
>
> No where did I see a swapped power supply or checked for bulging or leaking
> capacitors. Either of them can cause the symptoms you write about.

I can't positively identify the PC from the description given, but
on some ancient Compaq machines, wasn't the executable code for the
BIOS, stored on the hard drive ? There would still have to be some
kind of bootstrap loader in flash on the motherboard, but the visible
interface for the BIOS, could have been stored on the hard drive. And
that might result in different symptoms than you'd see on a regular PC.
Maybe the replacement hard drive needs to be "primed" before it
can be used ?

Is it Compaq "Presario" or some other model ? I couldn't match the
7000H part.

Paul
From: Al-hphdx on
I checked the caps, but didn't swap out the power supply.

From: Al-hphdx on
I checked the caps visually, they looked ok. didn't check ps thinking issue
was in bios.