From: TVeblen on

"TVeblen" <killtherobots(a)hal.net> wrote in message
> When I boot my computer with the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade DVD in the
> drive the boot gets to "CD ROM Boot Priority....Boot Ready_" but does not
> proceed to "Press any key to boot from CD". I can hear the drive spinning.
> I've pressed keys.
> The boot order is correct: CD Drive first.
> The DVD boots on 2 other computers (you get to the "Press any key to boot
> from CD" message) - the DVD is good.
> The other computers have a single legacy hard drive and legacy DVD
> writers.
>
> This system:
> Asus P6T motherboard with i7-920 CPU- 6GB RAM
> Two WD SATA Black hard disks - 5 + 3 partitions all NTFS
> Samsung SH-S223F 22x SATA Burner - DVD +R -R *RW -RW -RAM -ROM
> Floppy Drive
> Rig has been running XP without a hitch for 9 months
>
> Any ideas why it won't boot from DVD?

The computer boots from CD's fine: Acronis, Ubuntu, XP. I don't have other
DVD-Bootable to test.

From: Paul on
TVeblen wrote:
> "TVeblen" <killtherobots(a)hal.net> wrote in message
>> When I boot my computer with the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade DVD in the
>> drive the boot gets to "CD ROM Boot Priority....Boot Ready_" but does not
>> proceed to "Press any key to boot from CD". I can hear the drive spinning.
>> I've pressed keys.
>> The boot order is correct: CD Drive first.
>> The DVD boots on 2 other computers (you get to the "Press any key to boot
>> from CD" message) - the DVD is good.
>> The other computers have a single legacy hard drive and legacy DVD
>> writers.
>>
>> This system:
>> Asus P6T motherboard with i7-920 CPU- 6GB RAM
>> Two WD SATA Black hard disks - 5 + 3 partitions all NTFS
>> Samsung SH-S223F 22x SATA Burner - DVD +R -R *RW -RW -RAM -ROM
>> Floppy Drive
>> Rig has been running XP without a hitch for 9 months
>>
>> Any ideas why it won't boot from DVD?
>>

> The computer boots from CD's fine: Acronis, Ubuntu, XP. I don't have other
> DVD-Bootable to test.

OK, got a suggestion here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=27-151-171&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=100&SelectedRating=-1&PurchaseMark=&Page=2

Mike 2/27/2009 6:27:26 PM

Cons: This DVD player stopped working after one month of use. I started
doing some investigating and there is a known problem where the
drive will stop working with DVDs and only work with CDs. Samsung
is aware of this problem and said a firmware upgrade would fix it.
Unfortunately this is not the case (at least it didn't help me).
I will not be buying a samsung DVD player again. Don't be fooled.

Do other kinds of operations work OK with that drive. Can you
burn a DVD on it ? If you use one of those tools that scans
for errors (PI/PO) on a recently burned DVD, does that work
OK ? If you have a burner program, can you get the burner program
to make an ISO out of the Win7 DVD (copy to a file) ?

*******

I took a quick look at the Asus forum, and don't see a trend there to suggest
the motherboard is the problem. I didn't go through all the threads.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=P6T&SLanguage=en-us

HTH,
Paul
From: TVeblen on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
> TVeblen wrote:
>> "TVeblen" <killtherobots(a)hal.net> wrote in message
>>> When I boot my computer with the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade DVD in
>>> the drive the boot gets to "CD ROM Boot Priority....Boot Ready_" but
>>> does not proceed to "Press any key to boot from CD". I can hear the
>>> drive spinning. I've pressed keys.
>>> The boot order is correct: CD Drive first.
>>> The DVD boots on 2 other computers (you get to the "Press any key to
>>> boot from CD" message) - the DVD is good.
>>> The other computers have a single legacy hard drive and legacy DVD
>>> writers.
>>>
>>> This system:
>>> Asus P6T motherboard with i7-920 CPU- 6GB RAM
>>> Two WD SATA Black hard disks - 5 + 3 partitions all NTFS
>>> Samsung SH-S223F 22x SATA Burner - DVD +R -R *RW -RW -RAM -ROM
>>> Floppy Drive
>>> Rig has been running XP without a hitch for 9 months
>>>
>>> Any ideas why it won't boot from DVD?
>>>

>> The computer boots from CD's fine: Acronis, Ubuntu, XP. I don't have
>> other DVD-Bootable to test.
>
> OK, got a suggestion here.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=27-151-171&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=100&SelectedRating=-1&PurchaseMark=&Page=2
>
> Mike 2/27/2009 6:27:26 PM
>
> Cons: This DVD player stopped working after one month of use. I started
> doing some investigating and there is a known problem where the
> drive will stop working with DVDs and only work with CDs. Samsung
> is aware of this problem and said a firmware upgrade would fix
> it.
> Unfortunately this is not the case (at least it didn't help me).
> I will not be buying a samsung DVD player again. Don't be fooled.
>
> Do other kinds of operations work OK with that drive. Can you
> burn a DVD on it ? If you use one of those tools that scans
> for errors (PI/PO) on a recently burned DVD, does that work
> OK ? If you have a burner program, can you get the burner program
> to make an ISO out of the Win7 DVD (copy to a file) ?
>
> *******
>
> I took a quick look at the Asus forum, and don't see a trend there to
> suggest
> the motherboard is the problem. I didn't go through all the threads.
>
> http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=P6T&SLanguage=en-us
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Hey Paul - Thanks for the info. So I should suspect a faulty DVD drive and
go from there?
I did some tests and the drive will recognize a blank DVD-R and Nero CD-DVD
Tool will run it's tests. And A DVD movie will play from the desktop.
Is there anything different about reading DVD's when booting?
I will try burning a DVD later to see if that works.

Anyone out there install W7 on a P6T with a SATA DVD drive?

From: Paul on
TVeblen wrote:
> "Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
>> TVeblen wrote:
>>> "TVeblen" <killtherobots(a)hal.net> wrote in message

>>> The computer boots from CD's fine: Acronis, Ubuntu, XP. I don't have
>>> other DVD-Bootable to test.
>> OK, got a suggestion here.
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=27-151-171&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=100&SelectedRating=-1&PurchaseMark=&Page=2
>>
>> Mike 2/27/2009 6:27:26 PM
>>
>> Cons: This DVD player stopped working after one month of use. I started
>> doing some investigating and there is a known problem where the
>> drive will stop working with DVDs and only work with CDs. Samsung
>> is aware of this problem and said a firmware upgrade would fix
>> it.
>> Unfortunately this is not the case (at least it didn't help me).
>> I will not be buying a samsung DVD player again. Don't be fooled.
>>
>> Do other kinds of operations work OK with that drive. Can you
>> burn a DVD on it ? If you use one of those tools that scans
>> for errors (PI/PO) on a recently burned DVD, does that work
>> OK ? If you have a burner program, can you get the burner program
>> to make an ISO out of the Win7 DVD (copy to a file) ?
>>
>> *******
>>
>> I took a quick look at the Asus forum, and don't see a trend there to
>> suggest
>> the motherboard is the problem. I didn't go through all the threads.
>>
>> http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=P6T&SLanguage=en-us
>>
>> HTH,
>> Paul
>
> Hey Paul - Thanks for the info. So I should suspect a faulty DVD drive and
> go from there?
> I did some tests and the drive will recognize a blank DVD-R and Nero CD-DVD
> Tool will run it's tests. And A DVD movie will play from the desktop.
> Is there anything different about reading DVD's when booting?
> I will try burning a DVD later to see if that works.
>
> Anyone out there install W7 on a P6T with a SATA DVD drive?

So is the Windows 7 disc readable from WinXP ? Can you explore it ?
I would think, if you can read the media while in WinXP, maybe it
isn't a laser problem.

For that matter, you did say "Upgrade DVD". Doesn't that mean
you run it while booted in the qualifying OS ? Like, run
a setup.exe from the media. The media probably isn't bootable!
(No boot sector or whatever is used for booting.)

It may not be like previous upgrades, where you could boot
the media and have it check for a qualifying OS. Maybe this
one requires you to start the install while you're booted from
WinXP. I hope it doesn't trash WinXP as part of the install...

Paul
From: TVeblen on

> TVeblen wrote:
>> "Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message

>>> OK, got a suggestion here.
>>>
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=27-151-171&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=100&SelectedRating=-1&PurchaseMark=&Page=2
>>>
>>> Mike 2/27/2009 6:27:26 PM
>>>
>>> Cons: This DVD player stopped working after one month of use. I
>>> started
>>> doing some investigating and there is a known problem where the
>>> drive will stop working with DVDs and only work with CDs.
>>> Samsung
>>> is aware of this problem and said a firmware upgrade would fix
>>> it.
>>> Unfortunately this is not the case (at least it didn't help
>>> me).
>>> I will not be buying a samsung DVD player again. Don't be
>>> fooled.
>>>
>>> Do other kinds of operations work OK with that drive. Can you
>>> burn a DVD on it ? If you use one of those tools that scans
>>> for errors (PI/PO) on a recently burned DVD, does that work
>>> OK ? If you have a burner program, can you get the burner program
>>> to make an ISO out of the Win7 DVD (copy to a file) ?
>>>
>>> *******
>>>
>>> I took a quick look at the Asus forum, and don't see a trend there to
>>> suggest
>>> the motherboard is the problem. I didn't go through all the threads.
>>>
>>> http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=P6T&SLanguage=en-us
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> Paul
>>
>> Hey Paul - Thanks for the info. So I should suspect a faulty DVD drive
>> and go from there?
>> I did some tests and the drive will recognize a blank DVD-R and Nero
>> CD-DVD Tool will run it's tests. And A DVD movie will play from the
>> desktop.
>> Is there anything different about reading DVD's when booting?
>> I will try burning a DVD later to see if that works.
>>
>> Anyone out there install W7 on a P6T with a SATA DVD drive?
>>

> So is the Windows 7 disc readable from WinXP ? Can you explore it ?
> I would think, if you can read the media while in WinXP, maybe it
> isn't a laser problem.
>
> For that matter, you did say "Upgrade DVD". Doesn't that mean
> you run it while booted in the qualifying OS ? Like, run
> a setup.exe from the media. The media probably isn't bootable!
> (No boot sector or whatever is used for booting.)
>
> It may not be like previous upgrades, where you could boot
> the media and have it check for a qualifying OS. Maybe this
> one requires you to start the install while you're booted from
> WinXP. I hope it doesn't trash WinXP as part of the install...
>
> Paul

Thing is, it does boot from CD on the other computers, that is, I get the
"press any key" bit. To upgrade from XP *requires* a clean install (format,
wipe, etc. XP off the disk). Only Vista can be upgraded in place. Not that I
would ever do that.
When I load the CD from the desktop I get this ominous message: "This
installation disk isn't compatible with your version of Windows. To Upgrade,
you need the correct installation disk. For more information, check your
computer's system information. To install a new copy of Windows, restart
(boot) your computer using the installation disk, and then select Custom
(Advanced)."
Everything I've read told me that you must install from the installation CD
at bootup. I ran the MS Upgrade Advisor and, of course, there were no major
issues with my machine.
I can read the files on the DVD from Windows XP desktop Explorer. The root
of the DVD has autorun.inf , bootmgr , bootmgr.efi , and setup.exe.
Perhaps I need to run setup.exe from a dos prompt?