From: Piotrek on
Hello,

I have resources (workers) which have different productivity - I mean, one
of them ompletes given task in shorter time than the other one. Can I set it
somehow in MS Project?

From: Jim Aksel on
If you assign Speedy Gonzales, associate 16 hours of work to the task.
If you assign Slow Poke Paul, associate 24 hours of work to the task.

Project will calculate the duration for you if you left the task type as the
default (fixed units). Project has no ability to know that "Paint House"
will take different numbers of hours depending on resources assigned.

If you want to dig really deep into it, I have an acquaintance that does
things similar to this. He scores resources based on skills, motivation, and
experience. After he's done working with your team, his macros and the like
will (in effect) do that for you.
--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim Aksel, MVP

Check out my blog for more information:
http://www.msprojectblog.com

From: Piotrek on
Jim Aksel wrote:

> If you assign Speedy Gonzales, associate 16 hours of work to the task.
> If you assign Slow Poke Paul, associate 24 hours of work to the task.
> Project will calculate the duration for you if you left the task type as
> the
> default (fixed units). Project has no ability to know that "Paint House"
> will take different numbers of hours depending on resources assigned.
> If you want to dig really deep into it, I have an acquaintance that does
> things similar to this. He scores resources based on skills, motivation,
> and
> experience. After he's done working with your team, his macros and the
> like will (in effect) do that for you.

I see.

I think I will do that in this simpler way - playing with macros would be an
overkill for my needs.

Thanks a lot!
From: "Steve House" sjhouse at hotmail dot on
I think you should ask yourself if the diffence between the two is enough
that it will actually matter for planning purposes. Remember that work and
duration are always estimates until you actually go do the work and the
normal uncertainty of the estimate could easily be greater than any
difference in productivity between the two resources anyway. If Joe works 4
hours per day while Bill owrks 8, that's one thing. But if Joe averages 90
widgets per hour while Bill averages 110, is that a signifigant enough
difference to affect your scheduling?
--
Steve House
MS Project Trainer & Consultant