From: Chris Cox on
On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 11:04 -0500, mjt wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 10:49:23 -0500
> Chris Cox <chrisncoxn(a)endlessnow.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 05:04 +0200, houghi wrote:
> > > So dare you do it. :-)
> > > I did: http://houghi.org/movie/index.php?movie=sc_350ZSG9
> >
> > Next time try:
> >
> > cat /dev/zero >/dev/sda
>
> And for those lucky enough to not have a
> SCSI/SATA(USB) drive, will be unaffected :)

There are those VERY rare circumstances. I'll admit,
I used HP server, so mine are really /dev/cciss/*

But you get the idea...

If this is an el cheapo desktop and you don't have /dev/sda, there's
nothing lucky about your config.

From: Tosspot on
On 25/06/10 11:51, houghi wrote:
> houghi wrote:
>> So dare you do it. :-)
>> I did: http://houghi.org/movie/index.php?movie=sc_350ZSG9
>
> No reactions, so I guess y'all tried it. :-D

<shuffles feet>

cd /tmp

rm -rf ./*

> I must admid I did not do it on my main machine, but on a VirtualBox
> image.

Work Solaris machine.
From: Rob on
houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:
> mjt wrote:
>> That should have only affected the /etc directory itself
>> and not any files within - all you would have had to do
>> was the reverse: "chmod +x /etc" ... or chown ...
>
> Well, it was a time ago and part of the system still worked, but not
> all. Could be that it was with the -r option. And reversing stuff, that
> is not as easy as you think.
>
> Now I think it was /etc, but it could have been /bin or whatever. Thing
> is I did something stupid and the recovery saved my day.
>
> Doing random chmod or chowns will not be very healthy for your system.

But of course it does not come close to what restoring a backup can
do to it!

(not important of course when it is you hobby workstation that you use
only to learn a bit about Linux)
From: J G Miller on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 10:49:23 -0500, Chris Cox wrote:

> Next time try:
>
> cat /dev/zero >/dev/sda

The fastest way to render a system unusable is to move or remove libc.so

rm -f /lib/libc.so.6

From: Christoph Schmees on
houghi schrieb:
> houghi wrote:
>> So dare you do it. :-)
>> I did: http://houghi.org/movie/index.php?movie=sc_350ZSG9
>
> No reactions, so I guess y'all tried it. :-D
>
> I must admid I did not do it on my main machine, but on a VirtualBox
> image.

uh, you faintheart 8-]

Christoph

--