From: Steve B on
I have a Linksys wireless N router. Just how far do these things broadcast?
I am using it with a Toshiba laptop, and from the living room, about forty
feet away, it is working weakly. Is that the walls between, all sheetrock,
some plumbing? Something wrong with the system? I have one of those tripod
receivers that goes in a PC. Can I get a USB adapter to use it on the
laptop?

Steve

From: Jeff Strickland on

"Steve B" <deserttraveler(a)dishymail.net> wrote in message
>I have a Linksys wireless N router. Just how far do these things
>broadcast?
> I am using it with a Toshiba laptop, and from the living room, about forty
> feet away, it is working weakly. Is that the walls between, all
> sheetrock,
> some plumbing? Something wrong with the system? I have one of those
> tripod
> receivers that goes in a PC. Can I get a USB adapter to use it on the
> laptop?
>
> Steve

You have a wireless-N router, but not wireless-N adaptors in the computers.

Wireless N is the way to go, no doubt on that. But, the wireless-N adaptors
in the computers will give you more than the wireless-N router. Since most
new compouters these days will come with wireless-N, then the router you
bought will last you a long time to come.

I have Wireless-N adaptors in my computers, and I have one that's about 40
feet from the router -- probably an 802.11g -- and it gets a signal very
well.

From: Steve B on

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Steve B" <deserttraveler(a)dishymail.net> wrote in message
>>I have a Linksys wireless N router. Just how far do these things
>>broadcast?
>> I am using it with a Toshiba laptop, and from the living room, about
>> forty
>> feet away, it is working weakly. Is that the walls between, all
>> sheetrock,
>> some plumbing? Something wrong with the system? I have one of those
>> tripod
>> receivers that goes in a PC. Can I get a USB adapter to use it on the
>> laptop?
>>
>> Steve
>>

> You have a wireless-N router, but not wireless-N adaptors in the
> computers.
>
> Wireless N is the way to go, no doubt on that. But, the wireless-N
> adaptors in the computers will give you more than the wireless-N router.
> Since most new compouters these days will come with wireless-N, then the
> router you bought will last you a long time to come.
>
> I have Wireless-N adaptors in my computers, and I have one that's about 40
> feet from the router -- probably an 802.11g -- and it gets a signal very
> well.

My Toshiba laptops were plumbed with wifi. One is one year old, the other
two years old. I believe they are N frequencies. Still, they are weak in
the other rooms.

Steve

From: JD on
On 23/03/2010 5:35 PM, Steve B wrote:
> I have a Linksys wireless N router. Just how far do these things broadcast?
> I am using it with a Toshiba laptop, and from the living room, about forty
> feet away, it is working weakly. Is that the walls between, all sheetrock,
> some plumbing? Something wrong with the system? I have one of those tripod
> receivers that goes in a PC. Can I get a USB adapter to use it on the
> laptop?
>
> Steve

Hi Steve

There's no simple answer to your question.
your asking how far these things can broadcast:
well there are a group or people who can get the wirless routers to go
for 100's of miles
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2007/06/w_wifi_record_2/, its all about
the right conditions.

There's lots of things that can affect the distance like where the
routers kept, what your wall's/floor are made of, what channel the
routers on, change if off the default channel if it dose not have an
auto sense setting, or it could just be the receiver in your laptop.

A good way to test is to buy a wifi detector that shows signal strength
(canary wireless make a good one) and see how good the signal is where
you use the laptop, it will also let you know whether its the router or
the laptop receiver, if you have a good signal but a slow connection on
the laptop then its the laptop and vice versa.

I have a older 3com office connect g class router and it goes quite a
distance and my house has concrete walls.

oh and one more thing before I forget, some routers deliberately have a
low power setting you can turn off for the wifi signal, this is for
security (to limit the range of the signal)

JD
From: Jeff Strickland on

> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Steve B" <deserttraveler(a)dishymail.net> wrote in message
>>>I have a Linksys wireless N router. Just how far do these things
>>>broadcast?
>>> I am using it with a Toshiba laptop, and from the living room, about
>>> forty
>>> feet away, it is working weakly. Is that the walls between, all
>>> sheetrock,
>>> some plumbing? Something wrong with the system? I have one of those
>>> tripod
>>> receivers that goes in a PC. Can I get a USB adapter to use it on the
>>> laptop?
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>

>> You have a wireless-N router, but not wireless-N adaptors in the
>> computers.
>>
>> Wireless N is the way to go, no doubt on that. But, the wireless-N
>> adaptors in the computers will give you more than the wireless-N router.
>> Since most new compouters these days will come with wireless-N, then the
>> router you bought will last you a long time to come.
>>
>> I have Wireless-N adaptors in my computers, and I have one that's about
>> 40 feet from the router -- probably an 802.11g -- and it gets a signal
>> very well.
>
> My Toshiba laptops were plumbed with wifi. One is one year old, the other
> two years old. I believe they are N frequencies. Still, they are weak in
> the other rooms.

It's difficult for me to say, but they're likely not wireless-N if you are
having problems. The N router can't hurt, but I found huge signal increases
with N adaptors connected to a G router.