From: sobriquet on

Hi.

Sometimes when you've copied things from one USB drive to another and
it has completed,
you can't seem to remove the hardware safely via the icon in the
system tray.
I suppose windows is indexing the disk or something.
Is there a way to stop this which is more convenient than rebooting
the computer?

At first I thought the solution was to disable indexing somehow, by
unchecking the box for "index this station for faster searching" in
the properties for the drive, but it seems this must
be done for every drive you connect and it results in windows going
through the entire drive
doing some sort of modification and I very much dislike the idea of
windows going over the entire contents of the drive to make
modifications.

kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek
From: Rod Speed on
sobriquet wrote:

> Sometimes when you've copied things from one USB drive
> to another and it has completed, you can't seem to remove
> the hardware safely via the icon in the system tray.

Have you tried stopping it a second time ?

I do use a USB hard drive docking station for convenient overflow
of the PVR and do sometimes have to stop the USB drive twice,
but it always works fine the second time when the first doesnt.

I do close the explorer windows that show the drives before doing that tho.

> I suppose windows is indexing the disk or something.

Its more likely something.

> Is there a way to stop this which is more convenient than rebooting the computer?

Yes, I find that closing the explorer windows that use the drive you want to
remove and then stopping the drive a second time if necessary always works.

> At first I thought the solution was to disable indexing somehow,
> by unchecking the box for "index this station for faster searching"
> in the properties for the drive, but it seems this must be done for
> every drive you connect and it results in windows going through
> the entire drive doing some sort of modification and I very much
> dislike the idea of windows going over the entire contents of the
> drive to make modifications.

I never find that to be a problem and havent stopped indexing on those drives.

From: sobriquet on
On 22 mei, 07:43, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> sobriquet wrote:
> > Sometimes when you've copied things from one USB drive
> > to another and it has completed, you can't seem to remove
> > the hardware safely via the icon in the system tray.
>
> Have you tried stopping it a second time ?

Yes, sometimes this works, but often I can stop it 10 times and it
still tells me it can't stop the drive. Of course I close all explorer
windows before attempting to remove the drive (as well as all
programs that might be accessing data on the drive).

> I do use a USB hard drive docking station for convenient overflow
> of the PVR and do sometimes have to stop the USB drive twice,
> but it always works fine the second time when the first doesnt.
>
> I do close the explorer windows that show the drives before doing that tho.
>
> > I suppose windows is indexing the disk or something.
>
> Its more likely something.

But what could this mysterious activity be if it's not indexing and
I'm sure I've closed all applications and explorer windows that I've
used related to accessing the contents of the drive?

I'm also sure it's not some iso on the drive that I forgot to unmount
or something along those lines.

From: Mike S. on

In article <6d66e79b-7b42-425e-9594-d5bda84ecf5a(a)c7g2000vbc.googlegroups.com>,
sobriquet <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>On 22 mei, 07:43, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> sobriquet wrote:
>> > Sometimes when you've copied things from one USB drive
>> > to another and it has completed, you can't seem to remove
>> > the hardware safely via the icon in the system tray.
>>
>> Have you tried stopping it a second time ?
>
>Yes, sometimes this works, but often I can stop it 10 times and it
>still tells me it can't stop the drive. Of course I close all explorer
>windows before attempting to remove the drive (as well as all
>programs that might be accessing data on the drive).
>

>> I do use a USB hard drive docking station for convenient overflow
>> of the PVR and do sometimes have to stop the USB drive twice,
>> but it always works fine the second time when the first doesnt.
>>
>> I do close the explorer windows that show the drives before doing that tho.
>>
>> > I suppose windows is indexing the disk or something.
>>
>> Its more likely something.
>
>But what could this mysterious activity be if it's not indexing and
>I'm sure I've closed all applications and explorer windows that I've
>used related to accessing the contents of the drive?
>
>I'm also sure it's not some iso on the drive that I forgot to unmount
>or something along those lines.
>

>> > Is there a way to stop this which is more convenient than rebooting
>the computer?
>>
>> Yes, I find that closing the explorer windows that use the drive you want to
>> remove and then stopping the drive a second time if necessary always works.
>>
>> > At first I thought the solution was to disable indexing somehow,
>> > by unchecking the box for "index this station for faster searching"
>> > in the properties for the drive, but it seems this must be done for
>> > every drive you connect and it results in windows going through
>> > the entire drive doing some sort of modification and I very much
>> > dislike the idea of windows going over the entire contents of the
>> > drive to make modifications.
>>
>> I never find that to be a problem and havent stopped indexing on those drives.

When this happens I start up OpenFilesView from NirSoft and see what's
accessing the drive. Usually it's explorer.exe; so I use the utility to
close the file handle that explorer has opened, and then it ejects without
a complaint.

From: Arno on
Mike S. <retsuhcs(a)xinap.moc> wrote:

> In article <6d66e79b-7b42-425e-9594-d5bda84ecf5a(a)c7g2000vbc.googlegroups.com>,
> sobriquet <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>On 22 mei, 07:43, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> sobriquet wrote:
[...]
>>> I never find that to be a problem and havent stopped indexing on those drives.

> When this happens I start up OpenFilesView from NirSoft and see what's
> accessing the drive. Usually it's explorer.exe; so I use the utility to
> close the file handle that explorer has opened, and then it ejects without
> a complaint.

I love it how something that is completely standard under Linux ('lsof',
list open files) requires an external tool under Windows. But yes,
that is definitely the way to debug this type of problem.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----