From: Gaiseric Vandal on
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7

I would be pretty sure that if Windows 7 doesn't work with Samba 3.0.x
that Windows 2008 won't either. Rather than compiling samba 3.4 or 3.5
from source I would go with Fedora Core 11 (samba 3.3.x) or some other
more up-to-date linux distro that has a newer version of samba
included. I wouldn't start anything with 3.0.xx.

I would (maybe stating the obvious) set up a test environment 1st. I
did start playing with FC13 (samba 3.5)- not sure it behaved
properly. I personally would stick with FC12 which I think had samba
3.4.x included- since I am pretty familiar with 3.4.x but not 3.5.x.
There were definately some config changes between 3.0.x and 3.4.x (group
mapping, domain trusts.)

On 08/09/2010 02:56 PM, Peter Lawrie wrote:
> Hi
> I am about to set up a Centos server with samba and an MS server 2008 for a
> new customer.
> The MS server is required because he has an MSSQL application. The samba
> shares will be for everything else.
> I've previously set up centos and redhat servers as domain members with a
> 2003 pdc
> before I get stuck, are there any issues I should worry about with server
> 2008?
> What release of samba should I run?
> Are there any differences in configuration compared with samba3.0.33 which
> comes with centos5.5
> Peter
> 07:35:00

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Gaiseric Vandal
<gaiseric.vandal(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7
>

> I would be pretty sure that if Windows 7 doesn't work with Samba 3.0.x that
> Windows 2008 won't either.   Rather than compiling samba 3.4 or 3.5 from
> source I would go with Fedora Core 11 (samba 3.3.x) or  some other more
> up-to-date linux distro that has a newer version of samba included.   I
> wouldn't start anything with 3.0.xx.
>
> I would (maybe stating the obvious) set up a test environment 1st.     I did
> start playing with FC13 (samba 3.5)-  not sure it behaved properly.    I
> personally would stick with FC12 which I think had samba 3.4.x included-
>  since I am pretty familiar with 3.4.x but not 3.5.x.  There were definately
> some config changes between 3.0.x and 3.4.x (group mapping, domain trusts..)
>

> On 08/09/2010 02:56 PM, Peter Lawrie wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>> I am about to set up a Centos server with samba and an MS server 2008 for
>> new customer.
>> The MS server is required because he has an MSSQL application. The samba
>> shares will be for everything else.
>> I've previously set up centos and redhat servers as domain members with a
>> 2003 pdc
>> before I get stuck, are there any issues I should worry about with server
>> 2008?
>> What release of samba should I run?
>> Are there any differences in configuration compared with samba3.0.33 which
>> comes with centos5.5
>> Peter
>> 07:35:00

If you want to use CentOS, then your best bet would probably be :
http://enterprisesamba.com/index.php?id=123

They do have a 64 bit packages, but you have to click on the 386
packages and navigate up and down to see the x86_64 packages. Better
yet, simply add this repo file as /etc/yum.repos.d/sernet-samba.repo
and then yum install samba3*. Not samba, but samba3 as they name
packages differently.

http://ftp.sernet.de/pub/samba/3.5/rhel/5/sernet-samba.repo
[sernet-samba]
name=SerNet Samba Team packages (RedHat Enterprise Linux 5)
type=rpm-md
baseurl=http://ftp.sernet.de/pub/samba/3.5/rhel/5
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

Let us know how it goes. Are you using 2008 or 2008R2?
Look at my thread:
HOWTO samba4 centos5.5 named dnsupdate drbd simple failover

EDV Daniel Müller

Leitung EDV
Tropenklinik Paul-Lechler-Krankenhaus
Paul-Lechler-Str. 24