From: Oddball on
Felix Miata schreef:

> http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/Tmp/Smb/sambaorghome.html mainly also touches fonts,
> and works decently with default font sizes not far removed from standard. As
> default size is increased, the px-fixed widths begin crowding the content.

this one look realy cool, and invites to read, imho...

> http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/Tmp/Smb/sambaorghomee.html touches widths, but not
> any images, so background images aren't tailored to actual container widths,
> but it does emulate the http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/Sites/Ksc/ resolution
> independence example provided earlier.

This on less...

--

Enjoy your time around,

Oddball, aka M9.

OS: Linux 2.6.27.19-3.2-default x86_64
Huidige gebruiker: oddball(a)AMD64x2-sfn1
Systeem: openSUSE 11.1 (x86_64)
KDE: 4.2.1 (KDE 4.2.1) "release 103"

On 2010/05/19 11:10 (GMT-0600) Robert LeBlanc composed:

> I really love how all this criticism comes from someone who's website looks
> like something out of the 90's.

Your opinion. It's different from all the cookie cut mousetype magazine pages
hosted on the web on purpose. Deviation from normal can be fun. Too, some
people prefer boring old pages to dead URLs.

> Animated gifs are 20 years old now! The

Yup.

> design on your pages suck,

I don't see an URL to _any_ of your web design fruit.

> it is not easy on the eyes,

Great description. :-p There's more than one design, including non-design,
and subject matter, and a lot of it all. Content is king. Boring is OK.
Eyestrain and back strain are neither, but routinely induced by pages like
Samba's new design.

Exactly what do you mean by "easy on the eyes"? To me, that means legible,
with lines neither too short nor too long, and without standard web
distractions like advertising and sidebars.

> I'm not drawn to what
> is important.

You can't find the middle? Maybe your window is too big.

It's either all important, or none, or something in between. Read and decide
for yourself. What's important to you may be different than what's important
to anyone else.

> Yes I can read it (the text is legible), but just barely
> because the layout does not flow and I can't find anything. There is more to
> design than just the text px (which I highly discourage as well). Using too
> many fonts, having unbalanced portions of the page, etc.

> Please before you go slamming someone else's work, fix your own site so you
> have some credibility!

You've apparently chosen to not hit every page so as to know what's possible,
or are just complaining about selected examples that may or may not have had
material touches in 10 or more years, and probably ignored the example
provided to provide the baseline. Besides wanting to preserve some of the
past as it was, I have more important things to do that redesigning old pages
that weren't actually designed in the first place, but mere accumulations of
information. c.f. http://shoemakerschildren.com/ and
http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/Tmp/Smb/sambaorghome.html

> Robert LeBlanc
> Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
> Brigham Young University

Oh, and nothing on my site for me does or is intended to generate income.
It's all as time permits stuff, and I much prefer content over form when it
comes to information.

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

> http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/Tmp/Smb/sambaorghome.html mainly also touches fonts,
> and works decently with default font sizes not far removed from standard. As
> default size is increased, the px-fixed widths begin crowding the content.

For purposes of comparison, here is what the samba.org site looks like
on my browser (Chrome on Vista):

http://www.pointland.org/images/samba_org_sc.png

And here is what your modification looks like:

http://www.pointland.org/images/samba_org_kvetch_sc.png

I put a little 96 pixel square in the upper right corner for those who
want to scale to my dpi.

Some feedback: The body text is a little large for my tastes, but I
can live with that. I prefer the size contrast between the "Opening
Windows" header and the body text in the original design to yours. I
also prefer the additional white space around the text in the red
section boxes on the left, in the original design.

-David
zoolook wrote:
>Also, the color combination (specially on the wiki) is awful; red on
>gray, really hurt my eyes. I hope it can be improved soon.
>

>Regards,
>Norberto

I also found the red/white/gray combination difficult. It took me a
while to realise that the big red blocks on the left were menu. You
don't really see the white/grey Samba logo at all, and it's even
difficult to read the main text because the eyes are constantly being
drawn across to the bright red on the left.

As far as sizes are concerned, it displays perfectly on my 1024x768
monitor. But I was _astounded_ to read that it's using fixed pixel
sizes. That's not web design, that's poster design! I have been
looking though Blackbit's own website. They seem to be some sort of
advertising company, although this is not really very clear from their
site - which is not, if you think about it, a good sign. They list[1]
"breaking the rules" as one of their strengths. While it is true that
some conventions can occasionally be set aside to good effect, this is
certainly not a universal truth. In particular, common sense
readability guidelines in a medium primarily designed for reading should
not be dismissed without long and careful thought about the practical
implications. No matter how artistic the result.

On first look, then, I'm afraid Blackbit may not have been a good
choice.

However they do also list "incorporating constructive criticism" as
another strength (although this is perhaps difficult to reconcile with
"never giving way"). Maybe you could go back try to persuade them that
their basic premise of designing to a 1024x768 screen is flawed, and
that they and their customers would benefit from a more flexible
approach. A more balanced colour scheme would help the Samba site, too.

Moray.
"To err is human.  To purr, feline"

[1]
http://www.blackbit.de/en/index.html?a-Common_menu-n_Selected=2594&butto
n-CurrentMenuTree-setmenutree=&a-Common_storyOutput-n_SearchNodeId=2594&
button-Common_storyOutput-find_story=&vjpb-id=wde271cc0d035a655637d52cab
e12bcca9a8624a4dc

Quoting Felix Miata (mrmazda(a)earthlink.net):

> That's what http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/SC/sc-sambaorg1005.png was supposed to be.
> How does the depiction fall short?

Please accept some excuses here. In the next messages, you gave
ecidence of you will to contribute constructively.

Maybe the apparent tone of your initial message was giving a false
impression.