From: jerryys on
cannot find equivalent control for winsock in vb2005. can someone please
explain
why and additionally provide a small sample to get me going.

thanks

jerryys
From: Tom Shelton on
On 2010-01-12, jerryys <jerryys(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> cannot find equivalent control for winsock in vb2005. can someone please
> explain
> why and additionally provide a small sample to get me going.
>
> thanks
>
> jerryys

System.Net.TcpClient - I believe there are examples in the documentation.

--
Tom Shelton
From: Tom Shelton on
On Jan 12, 6:46 am, Tom Shelton <tom_shel...(a)comcastXXXXXXX.net>
wrote:
> On 2010-01-12, jerryys <jerr...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > cannot find equivalent control for winsock in vb2005. can someone please
> > explain
> > why and additionally provide a small sample to get me going.
>
> > thanks
>
> > jerryys
>
> System.Net.TcpClient - I believe there are examples in the documentation.
>
> --
> Tom Shelton

Oh... And System.Net.TcpListener for the server side.

You can also use the System.Net.Socket implementations as well. You
can find some good examples on msdn. I actually prefer to use the
Socket class - but, for simple stuff TcpClient/TcpListener are fine.

--
Tom Shelton
From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on
Where did you get the name client server app for a winsock application.

There are many misunderstanding about client server, but to call this from
1960 style applications client server is a little but to much marketing
language in my idea.

Cor

From: jerryys on
i'm not sure why marketing and the 1960's are being introduced, but a winsock
app in vb6 is intended to have a client side and a server side. please
explain the misunderstanding.

by the way, why in the world would a supposedly avanced language, vb2005 not
contain an easy to use compact winsock control as vb6. it seems vb2005 does
little when it comes to ease of use for communication pgms. i would have
expected a superior network control. and actually, in the 1960's cobol
communication pgms were referred to as network database apps.