From: mscotgrove on
On Feb 24, 12:14 am, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Frank Williams wrote
>
> > Rod Speed <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote
> >> mscotgr...(a)aol.com wrote
>
> Quantum, who got absobed by Maxtor who got absorbed by Seagate.

> >> An adapter is cheaper and can be discarded when he moves to the next PC.
> > But very very Slow.
>
> Nope, same speed as a USB caddy or faster.

USB is only slow if set as an external drive used for quick removal.
Worst as FAT32

Change the properties and performance is fine.

Michael
From: Rod Speed on
mscotgrove(a)aol.com wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote
>> Frank Williams wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote

>> Quantum, who got absobed by Maxtor who got absorbed by Seagate.

>>> But very very Slow.

>> Nope, same speed as a USB caddy or faster.

> USB is only slow if set as an external drive used for quick removal.

Nope, its slower than sata even if you dont have it set for quick removal.

Which is why the better external drives and docking stations etc do both USB and esata.

> Worst as FAT32

> Change the properties and performance is fine.

Nope, still worse than sata.

From: mscotgrove on
On Feb 24, 6:34 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> mscotgr...(a)aol.com wrote
>

> > Rod Speed <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote
> >> Frank Williams wrote
> >> Quantum, who got absobed by Maxtor who got absorbed by Seagate.
> >> Nope, same speed as a USB caddy or faster.
> > USB is only slow if set as an external drive used for quick removal.
>
> Nope, its slower than sata even if you dont have it set for quick removal..
>
> Which is why the better external drives and docking stations etc do both USB and esata.
>
> > Worst as FAT32
> > Change the properties and performance is fine.
>
> Nope, still worse than sata.- Hide quoted text -

I think we are looking as a drive for an old machine, as a temporary
measure

You can argue which type of car is faster, 140mph or 153 mph, but
basically one that does 70 mph is fine for everyday use

Yes, SATA is faster, but a USB plugin drive works OK. No need to take
the computer to bits, just plug and 'pray'

Michael
From: Rod Speed on
mscotgrove(a)aol.com wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote
>> mscotgr...(a)aol.com wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote

>>> USB is only slow if set as an external drive used for quick removal.

>> Nope, its slower than sata even if you dont have it set for quick removal.

>> Which is why the better external drives and docking stations etc do both USB and esata.

>>> Worst as FAT32

>>> Change the properties and performance is fine.

>> Nope, still worse than sata.

> I think we are looking as a drive for an old machine, as a temporary measure

Yes.

> You can argue which type of car is faster, 140mph or 153 mph,
> but basically one that does 70 mph is fine for everyday use

Different matter entirely with hard drives.

> Yes, SATA is faster, but a USB plugin drive works OK.

But the sata/ide converter will work better than USB.

> No need to take the computer to bits, just plug and 'pray'

And put up with the downsides of lack of cooling etc with external drives.

Its easy enough to add a new drive and an adapter to an older PC.

From: mscotgrove on
On Feb 24, 10:50 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> mscotgr...(a)aol.com wrote
>

> > Rod Speed <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote
> >> mscotgr...(a)aol.com wrote
> >> Nope, its slower than sata even if you dont have it set for quick removal.
> >> Which is why the better external drives and docking stations etc do both USB and esata.
> >> Nope, still worse than sata.
> > I think we are looking as a drive for an old machine, as a temporary measure
>
> Yes.
>
> > You can argue which type of car is faster, 140mph or 153 mph,
> > but basically one that does 70 mph is fine for everyday use
>
> Different matter entirely with hard drives.

Why so different?