From: dilbert firestorm on
I just recently bought a WD Caviar Blue 320gig Sata2 hard drive.

I've looked at some options on hooking up this drive to a win 98se
machine based on the IDE hard drive interface. It has an existing 20gig
hard drive, Fireball ATA-133 I think (don't remember who makes it)
and its running out of drive space.

1. Sata 1 or Sata 2 controller card

2. Sata - IDE/ATA adapter

3. SATA - IDE/ATA - USB adapter

points to consider, its meant to be a temporary/stop gap measure until I
can retire this old machine which is based on the Pentium 2-350 cpu.

I am looking at addonics for the adapters, but am open on the controller
cards as long as its cheap.

any suggestions welcome.
From: mscotgrove on
On Feb 23, 10:28 am, dilbert firestorm <scan...(a)i-55.com> wrote:
> I just recently bought a WD Caviar Blue 320gig Sata2 hard drive.
>
> I've looked at some options on hooking up this drive to a win 98se
> machine based on the IDE hard drive interface.  It has an existing 20gig
>      hard drive, Fireball ATA-133 I think (don't remember who makes it)
> and its running out of drive space.
>
> 1.  Sata 1 or Sata 2 controller card
>
> 2.  Sata - IDE/ATA adapter
>
> 3.  SATA - IDE/ATA - USB adapter
>
> points to consider, its meant to be a temporary/stop gap measure until I
> can retire this old machine which is based on the Pentium 2-350 cpu.
>
> I am looking at addonics for the adapters, but am open on the controller
> cards as long as its cheap.
>
> any suggestions welcome.

A USB caddy is probably the best - and will be useful on your next PC/
laptop

Michael
www.cnwrecovery.com
From: Rod Speed on
mscotgrove(a)aol.com wrote:
> On Feb 23, 10:28 am, dilbert firestorm <scan...(a)i-55.com> wrote:
>> I just recently bought a WD Caviar Blue 320gig Sata2 hard drive.
>>
>> I've looked at some options on hooking up this drive to a win 98se
>> machine based on the IDE hard drive interface. It has an existing
>> 20gig hard drive, Fireball ATA-133 I think (don't remember who makes
>> it)
>> and its running out of drive space.
>>
>> 1. Sata 1 or Sata 2 controller card
>>
>> 2. Sata - IDE/ATA adapter
>>
>> 3. SATA - IDE/ATA - USB adapter
>>
>> points to consider, its meant to be a temporary/stop gap measure
>> until I can retire this old machine which is based on the Pentium
>> 2-350 cpu.
>>
>> I am looking at addonics for the adapters, but am open on the
>> controller cards as long as its cheap.
>>
>> any suggestions welcome.
>
> A USB caddy is probably the best - and will be useful on your next PC/
> laptop

And adapter is cheaper and can be discarded when he moves to the next PC.

From: Yousuf Khan on
dilbert firestorm wrote:
> I just recently bought a WD Caviar Blue 320gig Sata2 hard drive.
>
> I've looked at some options on hooking up this drive to a win 98se
> machine based on the IDE hard drive interface. It has an existing 20gig
> hard drive, Fireball ATA-133 I think (don't remember who makes it)
> and its running out of drive space.
>
> 1. Sata 1 or Sata 2 controller card
>
> 2. Sata - IDE/ATA adapter
>
> 3. SATA - IDE/ATA - USB adapter
>
> points to consider, its meant to be a temporary/stop gap measure until I
> can retire this old machine which is based on the Pentium 2-350 cpu.
>
> I am looking at addonics for the adapters, but am open on the controller
> cards as long as its cheap.
>
> any suggestions welcome.

I'd go with #2, the SATA-IDE adapter route. They can be had for a couple
of bucks on Ebay, including shipping. And they have worked fine for me.
In fact, I'm using a couple of them right now on my system, where I've
converted some older IDE hard drives into SATA drives with these
adapters. You can also get adapters that go the other way which convert
SATA hard drives into IDE.

Yousuf Khan
From: Rod Speed on
Frank Williams wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote
>> mscotgrove(a)aol.com wrote
>>> dilbert firestorm <scan...(a)i-55.com> wrote

Quantum, who got absobed by Maxtor who got absorbed by Seagate.

>>> A USB caddy is probably the best - and will be useful on your next PC/ laptop

>> An adapter is cheaper and can be discarded when he moves to the next PC.

> But very very Slow.

Nope, same speed as a USB caddy or faster.