From: sreservoir on
On 2/16/2010 10:29 AM, Jarmo wrote:
> I have a problem and I was hoping someone could help me. I have a program
> that every time it runs it saves a log file with same name about the changes
> it did on that particular run. Result is that old file gets overwritten and
> lost. I would like to create "virtual file" so that every time foobar.log is
> written I actually end up with a file that has date and time added to it.
>
> In other words:
> I run application that writes to "foobar.log" and I want the file actually
> go to "~/foobarlogs/foobarYYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS.log" instead.
>
> I know I did something similar years ago with perl but my
> programming/scripting skills are too rusty to accomplish it anymore on my
> own. I would greatly appreciate the help.

strftime("~/foobarlogs/foobar%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M-%S.log", gmtime);

though I doubt what you want is a directory named ~.

--

"Six by nine. Forty two."
"That's it. That's all there is."
From: Frank Seitz on
J�rgen Exner wrote:
> Jarmo <jampe(a)darkbusstop.com> wrote:
>> I have a problem and I was hoping someone could help me. I have a program
>> that every time it runs it saves a log file with same name about the changes
>> it did on that particular run. Result is that old file gets overwritten and
>> lost. I would like to create "virtual file" so that every time foobar.log is
>> written I actually end up with a file that has date and time added to it.
>>
>> In other words:
>> I run application that writes to "foobar.log" and I want the file actually
>> go to "~/foobarlogs/foobarYYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS.log" instead.
>
> Not a Perl solution but what about running a cron job at midnight which
> does a
> ln -s foobar.log foobar[whateverthenewdayis]

A symlink is obviously not a solution, because the file
gets overwritten with every run.

Frank
--
Dipl.-Inform. Frank Seitz
Anwendungen f�r Ihr Internet und Intranet

Blog: http://www.fseitz.de/blog
XING-Profil: http://www.xing.com/profile/Frank_Seitz2
From: Helmut Richter on
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010, Frank Seitz wrote:

> > ln -s foobar.log foobar[whateverthenewdayis]
>
> A symlink is obviously not a solution, because the file
> gets overwritten with every run.

The other way would work:

Every night:
rm foobar.log
ln -s foobar[whateverthenewdayis] foobar.log

--
Helmut Richter
From: ccc31807 on
On Feb 16, 1:27 pm, "Uri Guttman" <u...(a)StemSystems.com> wrote:

> GACK!! please use POSIX::strftime. i hate seeing hand made date
> formatting. all you need is in that one sub and with less cruft and
> noise and chance for errors.

I have to create these kinds of file names and directory names in just
about every script I write, so I wrote a utility library to make it
easy. It's not any cruft, at least not in the executable script, but I
wasn't aware that POSIX::strftime existed. I'll try it and see if it's
any easier. Thanks for the pointer.

CC.
From: Uri Guttman on

c> On Feb 16, 1:27�pm, "Uri Guttman" <u...(a)StemSystems.com> wrote:

>> GACK!! please use POSIX::strftime. i hate seeing hand made date
>> formatting. all you need is in that one sub and with less cruft and
>> noise and chance for errors.

c> I have to create these kinds of file names and directory names in just
c> about every script I write, so I wrote a utility library to make it
c> easy. It's not any cruft, at least not in the executable script, but I
c> wasn't aware that POSIX::strftime existed. I'll try it and see if it's
c> any easier. Thanks for the pointer.

it has to be easier as it already supports all the common date/time
formats and parts you want. it requires no temp variables, no need to
mung the values (+1900, etc), and it is stable. you can change the
format easily unlike a hand written version.

uri

--
Uri Guttman ------ uri(a)stemsystems.com -------- http://www.sysarch.com --