From: Jarmo on
sreservoir <sreservoir(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> strftime("~/foobarlogs/foobar%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M-%S.log", gmtime);

That is a nice and simple way to get the date and time compared to monster
I was working on...

> though I doubt what you want is a directory named ~.

No, I don't. Not sure how that got there in the first place as ~ isn't even
close to " or / on my keyboard.

--
Jampe
Things are getting worse. Please send chocolate.
From: Frank Seitz on
Helmut Richter wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010, Frank Seitz wrote:

>>> ln -s foobar.log foobar[whateverthenewdayis]
>>
>> A symlink is obviously not a solution, because the file
>> gets overwritten with every run.
>
> The other way would work:
>
> Every night:
> rm foobar.log
> ln -s foobar[whateverthenewdayis] foobar.log

No, but a hardlink (ln without -s) or cp would do it.

Frank
--
Dipl.-Inform. Frank Seitz
Anwendungen f�r Ihr Internet und Intranet

Blog: http://www.fseitz.de/blog
XING-Profil: http://www.xing.com/profile/Frank_Seitz2
From: Jarmo Sillanpaa on
RedGrittyBrick <RedGrittyBrick(a)spamweary.invalid> wrote:

> The obvious (to me) answer is not to run the program directly but run it
> from a script. The script can rename the logfile after the program exits.

I didn't consider that an option at first because I have several different
people running the program at random times and I didn't think I could count
on them remembering to start using a new command to start it. Now reading
this I had an idea that I could rename the original executable and make the
script with the original name. I think that is what I will do.

From: Jarmo Sillanpaa on
Thanks for answers. I went with a different implementation although I am
still curious if it is possible to do what I was thinking about first.
From: Peter J. Holzer on
On 2010-02-16 19:56, Jarmo <jampe(a)darkbusstop.com> wrote:
> sreservoir <sreservoir(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> strftime("~/foobarlogs/foobar%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M-%S.log", gmtime);
>
> That is a nice and simple way to get the date and time compared to monster
> I was working on...
>
>> though I doubt what you want is a directory named ~.
>
> No, I don't. Not sure how that got there in the first place as ~ isn't even
> close to " or / on my keyboard.

~ is an abbreviation for the home directory in most shells. So in Perl
that would be:

$ENV{HOME} . strftime("/foobarlogs/foobar%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M-%S.log", gmtime);

hp