From: Richard on

> "about to go nuts!!!!!" <abouttogonuts(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> this pc has windows xp pro version 2002 doesnt mention anything about any
> certain sp. i also searched for the file by looking for
> c:\windows\system32\wscui.cpl . but it was nowhere to be found. all you
> guys saying that im up the creek all i can do is laugh...i will find the
> answer to this minor issue and when i do ill post it back just for you
> to read and maybe pass along one day when someone else has the same
> problem lol. so do me this favor....if you dont know the answer or
> anything helpful that i may be able to do beside reformatting....then
> please dont reply to this.

Yeah, well, all laughter aside, without any "certain sp" you don't have
Security Center because it came out with Service Pack 2. Here's how to check
what version you have:

Click Start, click Run, type or paste next line into box and press Enter:
winver

My Windows XP Professional system has this version information:
Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234 : Service Pack 3)

If you have not done so yet, do this:
Download MalwareBytes anti-malware, update and do Full Scan
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

To fully update your computer and make it secure, you need to:

Download & save the installer for WinXP SP2 to your desktop:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a
Filename: WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe

To avoid endless startup error loops if something goes wrong:
right-click My computer, click Properties, click Advanced (tab)
under Startup and Recovery, click Settings
Under System failure, UN-check Automatically restart

Note, System Restore will automatically establish restore points before each
installation. Make sure at least 2500 MB disk space is reserved for its use.
(Right-click My Computer, click Properties, click System Restore tab, use
slide thingy.)

Physically disconnect from the internet, close all open programs and
double-click the SP2 file to install. Reboot your computer TWICE to complete
the install and verify everything is working as it should. You should now
have the Security Center item here:
Start> (all)Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Security Center
and also here:
Start> (settings) Control Panel> Security Center

Verify that your Windows Firewall is fully active.
Set Automatic Updates to Notify. Continue:

Download & save the installer for WinXP SP3 to your desktop:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4
Filename: WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe

If you have already upgraded to Internet Explorer 7 (IE7) or IE8, be advised
that it is best to uninstall either or both of those versions before
installing Service Pack 3. You should uninstall any 3rd part toolbars before
uninstalling or installing IE.

Physically disconnect from the internet, close all open programs and
double-click the SP3 file to install. Reboot your computer TWICE to complete
the install and verify everything is working as it should.

How to obtain the latest version of the Windows Update Agent.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104/
The downloads for x86, x64 or Itanium based computers are about half way
down that page. Right-click and SaveAs to your desktop.

Physically disconnect from the internet, close all open programs and
double-click that file to install the Windows Update Agent. Reboot your
computer TWICE and verify everything is working as it should.

Free Windows Defender (anti-spyware)
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx

Main Windows Update website:
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx
(The server gets extra slow on/after the 2nd tuesday of each month.)

Connect to the Windows Update site. Be patient. (The server "thinks"
slowly.) Choose Custom. Download and install only ONE of the critical
security updates, disconnect from the internet and reboot your computer
TWICE and verify everything is working as it should. If all is well,
reconnect to the Windows Update site, custom, select no more than 5 updates
at a time, download, install, disconnect, reboot TWICE, verify.

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/advanced/xppc.mspx

Protect Your Computer Firewall Security, Security Updates.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/spyware/prevent.mspx

Rogue Security Software - Microsoft Security:
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/viruses/rogue.mspx

Let us know how things work out. Thanks.

HTH. --Richard