From: 1PW on
On 01/30/2009 05:19 AM, Marty sent:
> Hi Pete,
>
> Many thanks for your reply. The problem is on my girlfriend's laptop which
> is the same model as
> my one. Mine runs sfc no problem under a user account with admin privileges,
> it was strange
> that hers doesn't.
> I'll have a go at what you suggested and let you know. Ideally I think she
> needs a fresh install of
> XP as Internet Explorer crashes when loaded and she has random blue screens
> from obscure drivers.
> I was going to see if SFC helps improve stability or even fixes Internet
> Explorer.
> My laptop has SP3 and my wireless connection drops from time to time since I
> installed it (something
> to do with Black Hole router detection I think but that's a different story)
> and she has SP2 and doesn't have that problem so
> she's sticking with SP2 for now as she has the same wireless card (no new
> drivers available).
>
> I'll have a go at logging in as administrator and let you know.

Hello Marty:

Your reasons for running SFC on her system are well founded then.

After getting a good backup image, a passive CHKDSK pass might be
appropriate - even /before/ SFC.

Microsoft has several publications addressing the reinstallation of IE.

For her next Valentine's day, you may wish to invest in an external USB
HDD for frequent & scheduled backups. Not very romantic I'll grant you
- but very practical, and yet nothing says I love you like great
antimalware. :-)

Pete
--
1PW @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]
From: Marty on
Hi Pete,
Good thinking about the USB hard drive although she does already have one.
I ran chkdsk /f on there before and it was all ok.
Now with the update on SFC...
I can't access the Administrator account for some reason although in Safe
Mode
it automatically logs into that account.
I changed the way users log on so that I could enter Administrator instead
of the username
and it said it couldn't log me on because of an account restriction? It
shouldn't be a password
issue as there's no password on it and I checked that by changing it to
nothing as well.
If I try and run sfc in safe mode it says the RPC server is unavailable.

Any thoughts?