From: Marty on
"Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system
files.
The specific error code is 0x000004dd [The operation being requested was not
performed because the user has not logged on to the network.
The specified service does not exist].

Any ideas on fixing this anyone? I've googled it and read other people's
reports of this but can't find a fix for it.

The laptop is on the network and can be pinged, shares accessed etc and it
can access network resources fine.

I've changed the registry entry to locate the source as both an i386 folder
on the network and on the C drive of the laptop and it still
comes up with this error message?

From: 1PW on
On 01/29/2009 12:58 PM, Marty sent:
> "Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system
> files.
> The specific error code is 0x000004dd [The operation being requested was not
> performed because the user has not logged on to the network.
> The specified service does not exist].
>
> Any ideas on fixing this anyone? I've googled it and read other people's
> reports of this but can't find a fix for it.
>
> The laptop is on the network and can be pinged, shares accessed etc and it
> can access network resources fine.
>
> I've changed the registry entry to locate the source as both an i386 folder
> on the network and on the C drive of the laptop and it still
> comes up with this error message?

Hello Marty:

Are you running SFC as "the" *Administrator*?

Do you have your system's installation CD-ROM disc mounted, regardless
of the registry hive changes you've made?

--
1PW @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]
From: Marty on
Hi IPW,

I'm running it as a user account which has administrative rights but not as
the administrator (XP Home SP2).
When you say having the CD-ROM mounted, do you mean put the XP CD in the
drive?

Many thanks

From: 1PW on
On 01/29/2009 03:11 PM, Marty sent:
> Hi IPW,
>
> I'm running it as a user account which has administrative rights but not as
> the administrator (XP Home SP2).
> When you say having the CD-ROM mounted, do you mean put the XP CD in the
> drive?
>
> Many thanks

Hello Marty:

While allowing your system its usual Internet access, I would start from
a fresh reboot, log in as only _the_ Administrator (not as a user with
elevated privileges) and yes, have the original XP Home installation
CD-ROM in the closed CD-ROM drive tray, before running SFC.

Then: start > Run... > cmd Enter: sfc /scannow

If you've never seen SFC run on any system before, the complete process
will take more than a 'few minutes'. Good things come to those who wait.

What prompted you to run SFC?

Please post a follow-up with your results.

How much thought have you given to installing service pack 3, and
subsequent updates, for your system?

Good luck to you Marty.

Pete
--
1PW @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]
From: Marty on
Hi Pete,

Many thanks for your reply. The problem is on my girlfriend's laptop which
is the same model as
my one. Mine runs sfc no problem under a user account with admin privileges,
it was strange
that hers doesn't.
I'll have a go at what you suggested and let you know. Ideally I think she
needs a fresh install of
XP as Internet Explorer crashes when loaded and she has random blue screens
from obscure drivers.
I was going to see if SFC helps improve stability or even fixes Internet
Explorer.
My laptop has SP3 and my wireless connection drops from time to time since I
installed it (something
to do with Black Hole router detection I think but that's a different story)
and she has SP2 and doesn't have that problem so
she's sticking with SP2 for now as she has the same wireless card (no new
drivers available).

I'll have a go at logging in as administrator and let you know.