From: Jim on

"sbelgard" <sbelgard(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Bob,
>
> I turned off windows xp firewall on both desktop and laptop. Can ping each
> IP address including that of the router that I am using to connect to
> wirelessly.
>
> When I go to add the printer it finds "Microsoft Windows Network" but no
> connected printers. I have verified that both computers are in the same
> workgroup. They are in MSHOME. The printer I want to use is also shared.
>
> I am not comfortable with leaving the Windows firewall turned off. Any
> suggestions?
>
> "Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> In this case, I would check the firewall settings first. Or this search
>> result may help.
>>
>> troubleshooting ping issues
>> Jump to Can't ping outside IP or name?: 4) For the security
>> reasons,
>> many organizations block the return of ICMP (ping) packets so that ping
>> or
>> www.chicagotech.net/troubleshootingping.htm
>>

>> --
>> Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "sbelgard" <sbelgard(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When i ping my laptop: Ip address 10.0.0.7, it comes back packets
>> > sent =4, received=0, lost-4 (100% lost). The computer I pinged frpm IP
>> > Address is as follows: 10.0.0.6
>> >
>> > same result when i ping desktop from laptop.

Did you follow the instructions in the printer manual about sharing and
printing? Don't they say to install the printer software on all computers
that expect to access the printer?

Did you enable file and printer sharing in all firewalls? It seems to me
that you didn't given that ping didn't work.

Jim