From: sbelgard on
I have a desktop with printer installed on it. Prints fine when connected
through desktop. I want to use this printer wirelessly through my NetGear
wireless router. When i go to add the printer, the wizard does not find the
network. Any ideas on how to get me started and what i need to look for to
make the Desktop visible to the wireless laptop to print.

I had this connected once before, but lost my connection and ability to see
it when I changed from a Linksys router (G) to a Netgear router(N).

Both computers are running Windows Xp. I also have 2 other laptops that run
Vista. Would like to be able to print from those also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sonya
From: Bob Lin (MS-MVP) on
Can you ping each other IP addresses? Posting the results of ipconfig /all
here may help.

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

From: sbelgard on
When i ping my laptop: Ip address 10.0.0.7, it comes back packets
sent =4, received=0, lost-4 (100% lost). The computer I pinged frpm IP
Address is as follows: 10.0.0.6

same result when i ping desktop from laptop.

From: Bob Lin (MS-MVP) on
In this case, I would check the firewall settings first. Or this search
result may help.

troubleshooting ping issues
Jump to Can't ping outside IP or name‎: 4) For the security reasons,
many organizations block the return of ICMP (ping) packets so that ping or
www.chicagotech.net/troubleshootingping.htm

From: sbelgard on
Bob,

I turned off windows xp firewall on both desktop and laptop. Can ping each
IP address including that of the router that I am using to connect to
wirelessly.

When I go to add the printer it finds "Microsoft Windows Network" but no
connected printers. I have verified that both computers are in the same
workgroup. They are in MSHOME. The printer I want to use is also shared.

I am not comfortable with leaving the Windows firewall turned off. Any
suggestions?