From: Alan Edwards on
DDE stands for Dynamic Data Exchange. The primary function of DDE is
to allow Windows applications to share data. For example, a cell in
Microsoft Excel could be linked to a value in another application and
when the value is changed, it would be automatically updated in the
Excel spreadsheet.

Yes, you can add an action such as print.
The file extension of a shortcut is .LNK (it is well hidden)

....Alan
http://dts-l.com/index.htm

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 10:40:40 -0500, in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics, Rick Merrill

From: Rick Merrill on
Alan Edwards wrote:
> DDE stands for Dynamic Data Exchange. The primary function of DDE is
> to allow Windows applications to share data. For example, a cell in
> Microsoft Excel could be linked to a value in another application and
> when the value is changed, it would be automatically updated in the
> Excel spreadsheet.
>
> Yes, you can add an action such as print.
> The file extension of a shortcut is .LNK (it is well hidden)
>
> ...Alan
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer
> http://dts-l.com/index.htm

Thanks for the tips!

From: Rick Merrill on
Alan Edwards wrote:
> DDE stands for Dynamic Data Exchange. The primary function of DDE is
> to allow Windows applications to share data. For example, a cell in
> Microsoft Excel could be linked to a value in another application and
> when the value is changed, it would be automatically updated in the
> Excel spreadsheet.
>
> Yes, you can add an action such as print.
> The file extension of a shortcut is .LNK (it is well hidden)

so well hidden I cannot find it! where to look?

From: Alan Edwards on
On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 15:10:23 -0500, in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics, Rick Merrill
<Rick0.merrill(a)gmail.nospam.com> wrote:

>Alan Edwards wrote:
>> DDE stands for Dynamic Data Exchange. The primary function of DDE is
>> to allow Windows applications to share data. For example, a cell in
>> Microsoft Excel could be linked to a value in another application and
>> when the value is changed, it would be automatically updated in the
>> Excel spreadsheet.
>>
>> Yes, you can add an action such as print.
>> The file extension of a shortcut is .LNK (it is well hidden)
>
>so well hidden I cannot find it! where to look?

Why do you want to? You can't do anything to .lnk files and I can only
suggest you leave them alone.
You can see the .lnk file association in the Registry in these two
keys:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile

You can also see that information in the LNK file fix here:
XP File Association Fixes-Doug Knox:
You can open linkfile_fix.reg in Notepad to view it.
(If you insist on playing with .lnk files, you may need that fix.)

....Alan
http://dts-l.com/index.htm

From: Rick Merrill on
Alan Edwards wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 15:10:23 -0500, in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics, Rick Merrill
> <Rick0.merrill(a)gmail.nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> Alan Edwards wrote:
>>> DDE stands for Dynamic Data Exchange. The primary function of DDE is
>>> to allow Windows applications to share data. For example, a cell in
>>> Microsoft Excel could be linked to a value in another application and
>>> when the value is changed, it would be automatically updated in the
>>> Excel spreadsheet.
>>>
>>> Yes, you can add an action such as print.
>>> The file extension of a shortcut is .LNK (it is well hidden)
>>
>> so well hidden I cannot find it! where to look?
>
> Why do you want to?

I want to create collections of links (without duplication of files)
and be able to print them later.

> You can't do anything to .lnk files

That was my point.

> and I can only
> suggest you leave them alone.
> You can see the .lnk file association in the Registry in these two
> keys:
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile
>
> You can also see that information in the LNK file fix here:
> XP File Association Fixes-Doug Knox:
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
> You can open linkfile_fix.reg in Notepad to view it.
> (If you insist on playing with .lnk files, you may need that fix.)

That's very thoughtful. Thank you.