From: Stan Hoeppner on
Luke Hamilton put forth on 7/8/2010 7:31 PM:
> I have a setup of Ubuntu 8.04 running Samba 3.0.28a. Connected to our network I
> have a buffalo linkstation acting as Network Attached Storage (NAS), which I
> have successfully mounted on the local file system.
>
> Using smbcquotas I believe I can set up a quota for each user on the NAS. To
> get started, I run the command:
> smbcquotas //192.168.1.4/share -S FSQFLAGS:QUOTA_ENABLED -A /etc/.credentials

Is 192.168.1.4 the Buffalo NAS? If so...

> But I get the error:
> Quotas are not enabled on this share.
> Failed to open \$Extend\$Quota:$Q:$INDEX_ALLOCATION NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.

Does the Buffalo support NTFS5 and is quota capability enabled on the Buffalo
SMB server?

> I'm trying to figure out why my command fails. Shouldn't that enable quotas in
> the first place?

Not if the Buffalo NAS isn't already configured to support quotas. As I
understand it, this command sends a packet to a remote SMB server telling it
how to (re)configure quotas on a given share. If quota capability isn't
already enabled on the remote SMB server this command will fail. I think that
is what is happening here. I'm no expert on this, just making a somewhat
educated guess.

See: man smbcquotas

--
Stan
I think you're right in that quotas aren't enabled on the NAS itself and there
doesn't appear to be any way of doing so. If I'm to do this, I may have to
invent some way of enforcing quotas for the remote machine at the client.

But before I get elbow deep in Perl code, I want to try putting a quota on one
of the Samba shares. Is that possible?

>Luke Hamilton put forth on 7/8/2010 7:31 PM:
>> I have a setup of Ubuntu 8.04 running Samba 3.0.28a. Connected to our network

>> have a buffalo linkstation acting as Network Attached Storage (NAS), which I
>

>> have successfully mounted on the local file system.
>>
>> Using smbcquotas I believe I can set up a quota for each user on the NAS. To
>

>> get started, I run the command:
>> smbcquotas //192.168.1.4/share -S FSQFLAGS:QUOTA_ENABLED -A
>/etc/.credentials
>
>Is 192.168.1.4 the Buffalo NAS? If so...
>
>> But I get the error:
>> Quotas are not enabled on this share.
>> Failed to open \$Extend\$Quota:$Q:$INDEX_ALLOCATION
>NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.
>
>Does the Buffalo support NTFS5 and is quota capability enabled on the Buffalo
>SMB server?
>
>> I'm trying to figure out why my command fails. Shouldn't that enable quotas
>
>>in
>>
>> the first place?
>
>Not if the Buffalo NAS isn't already configured to support quotas. As I
>understand it, this command sends a packet to a remote SMB server telling it
>how to (re)configure quotas on a given share. If quota capability isn't
>already enabled on the remote SMB server this command will fail. I think that
>is what is happening here. I'm no expert on this, just making a somewhat
>educated guess.
>
>See: man smbcquotas
>
>--
>Stan

Luke Hamilton put forth on 7/9/2010 3:05 PM:
> I think you're right in that quotas aren't enabled on the NAS itself and there
> doesn't appear to be any way of doing so. If I'm to do this, I may have to
> invent some way of enforcing quotas for the remote machine at the client.
>
> But before I get elbow deep in Perl code, I want to try putting a quota on one
> of the Samba shares. Is that possible?

I wish I had an answer for you. I just don't have enough experience with
quotas. You may just have to experiment with it unless/until someone else
posts a solution.

--
Stan

>> I think you're right in that quotas aren't enabled on the NAS itself
>> and there
>> doesn't appear to be any way of doing so. If I'm to do this, I may
>> have to
>> invent some way of enforcing quotas for the remote machine at the
>> client.
That NAS runs on Linux. A few minutes of googling just now reveals
there are OS hacks for it. You might go that route.