From: Bill Purcell on

At Fri, 09 Apr 2010 10:11:26 -0500,
Bill Purcell wrote:
> At Fri, 9 Apr 2010 16:52:43 +0200,
>
> Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 09:25:10AM -0500, Bill Purcell wrote:
> > > libwbclient is already installed
> >
> > That is the same version that you have just compiled? That
> > means, is smbd compiled from the same Samba source tarball
> > that the libwbclient that you have installed in your system
> > right now?
> >
> I used aptitude to install the package. So it was pre-compiled
> before installation on my system. If the version of libwbclient
> should match the version of samba and samba-common, then I might have
> a problem.

I downloaded the right deb version and installed it. Now I can get
smbd to run but can't list the shares. What can I take as a next step?

[10:13:48] ~/tmp$ sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
Stopping Samba daemons: nmbd smbd.
Starting Samba daemons: nmbd smbd.
[10:18:09] ~/tmp$ smbclient -L localhost
Connection to localhost failed (Error NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)
[10:18:12] ~/tmp$ ps -A | grep mb
13679 ? 00:00:00 nmbd
13681 ? 00:00:00 smbd
13690 ? 00:00:00 smbd

[10:06:14] ~$ dpkg -l | egrep "samba|libwb"
ii libwbclient0 2:3.2.5-4lenny9 client library for interfacing with winbind service
ii samba 2:3.2.5-4lenny9 a LanManager-like file and printer server for Unix
ii samba-common 2:3.2.5-4lenny9 Samba common files used by both the server and the client

I also tried using an IP address and I get a different error.

Hi there,

On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 Bill Purcell wrote:

> [10:05:44] ~$ dpkg -l | egrep "samba|libwb"
> ii libwbclient0 2:3.4.7~dfsg-1
> ii samba 2:3.2.5-4lenny9
> ii samba-common 2:3.2.5-4lenny9

I had problems with Samba on Debian. I removed the Debian version of
Samba and all its libraries, compiled Samba from source, installed it
and the libraries, and things were a lot better after that.

--

73,
Ged.
Hi Bill,

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/

There are tons of Debian folks willing and able to help you get Debian Samba
working properly, and many more aptitude/dpkg experts.

--
Stan

Bill Purcell put forth on 4/9/2010 10:11 AM:
> At Fri, 9 Apr 2010 16:52:43 +0200,
> Volker Lendecke wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 09:25:10AM -0500, Bill Purcell wrote:
>>> libwbclient is already installed
>> That is the same version that you have just compiled? That
>> means, is smbd compiled from the same Samba source tarball
>> that the libwbclient that you have installed in your system
>> right now?
>
> I used aptitude to install the package. So it was pre-compiled
> before installation on my system. If the version of libwbclient
> should match the version of samba and samba-common, then I might have
> a problem.

> [10:05:44] ~$ dpkg -l | egrep "samba|libwb"
> ii libwbclient0 2:3.4.7~dfsg-1 Samba winbind client library
> ii samba 2:3.2.5-4lenny9 a LanManager-like file and printer server for Unix
> ii samba-common 2:3.2.5-4lenny9 Samba common files used by both the server and the client
>
> Should these two version be the same? Is there any easy way with dpkg
> or apt to make this happen? If not, I assume I will have to build
> from source? Is there a decent tutorial on this, including a list of
> dependencies?
>
> Bill

Thanks Stan ... will do.