From: Volker Lendecke on
On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 08:11:58AM -0500, Bill Purcell wrote:
> I can not get smbd to run.

> [07:57:29] ~$ ps -A | grep mb
> 11330 ? 00:00:01 nmbd
>
> I first noticed my problem when I tried restarting samba

> [07:57:31] ~$ sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
> Stopping Samba daemons: nmbd smbdstart-stop-daemon: warning: failed to kill 11353: No such process
> .
> Starting Samba daemons: nmbd smbd.

Please install also the libwbclient you just compiled.

Volker
Volker, Thanks for the reply.

libwbclient is already installed

[09:23:16] ~$ dpkg -l | grep libwb
ii libwbclient0 2:3.4.7~dfsg-1 Samba winbind client library

Bill

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 09:25:10AM -0500, Bill Purcell wrote:
> Volker, Thanks for the reply.
>
> libwbclient is already installed

That is the same version that you have just compiled? That
means, is smbd compiled from the same Samba source tarball
that the libwbclient that you have installed in your system
right now?

Thanks,

Volker
From: Volker Lendecke on
On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 10:11:26AM -0500, Bill Purcell wrote:
> At Fri, 9 Apr 2010 16:52:43 +0200,
> Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 09:25:10AM -0500, Bill Purcell wrote:
> > > libwbclient is already installed
> > That is the same version that you have just compiled? That
> > means, is smbd compiled from the same Samba source tarball
> > that the libwbclient that you have installed in your system
> > right now?
>
> I used aptitude to install the package. So it was pre-compiled
> before installation on my system. If the version of libwbclient
> should match the version of samba and samba-common, then I might have
> a problem.

> [10:05:44] ~$ dpkg -l | egrep "samba|libwb"
> ii libwbclient0 2:3.4.7~dfsg-1 Samba winbind client library
> ii samba 2:3.2.5-4lenny9 a LanManager-like file and printer server for Unix
> ii samba-common 2:3.2.5-4lenny9 Samba common files used by both the server and the client
>
> Should these two version be the same? Is there any easy way with dpkg
> or apt to make this happen? If not, I assume I will have to build
> from source? Is there a decent tutorial on this, including a list of
> dependencies?

Ok, you do have a problem. The libwbclient version must
match the rest of Samba. Not sure how to solve this, I'm not
an aptitude wizard.

Sorry,

Volker