From: Per olof Ljungmark on
Hi,

We host a few mailing lists and I noted that when the messages are cued,
it is done so in recipient-domain alphabetical order.

We already implemented restrictions on concurrency and number of
recipients per message not to trigger various filters at the receiving
end, and now I thought that maybe it would work even better if the
recieving domains were randomized instead of cued alphabetically.

Any thoughts from the list? Would it be easy to implement?

Thanks!

From: Wietse Venema on
Per olof Ljungmark:
> Hi,
>
> We host a few mailing lists and I noted that when the messages are cued,
> it is done so in recipient-domain alphabetical order.

No, this is inaccurate.

In reality, Postfix writes recipients to the queue file in the
order that it received them.

At DELIVERY TIME, the queue manager sorts recipients so that it
can group multiple recipients in one email transaction (remember,
SMTP is a multi-recipient protocol).

This sorting at DELIVERY TIME is done in batches of up to
$qmgr_message_recipient_limit.

At DELIVERY TIME, the queue manager implements ROUND-ROBIN destination
selection, and it enforces concurrency limits such that it will
not deliver all recipients for the same domain at the same time
(unlike some MTAs) even when those recipients are sorted together.

This provides better load distribution than naive random destination
selection.

Wietse

From: Per olof Ljungmark on
Wietse Venema wrote:
> Per olof Ljungmark:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We host a few mailing lists and I noted that when the messages are cued,
>> it is done so in recipient-domain alphabetical order.
>
> No, this is inaccurate.
>
> In reality, Postfix writes recipients to the queue file in the
> order that it received them.
>
> At DELIVERY TIME, the queue manager sorts recipients so that it
> can group multiple recipients in one email transaction (remember,
> SMTP is a multi-recipient protocol).
>
> This sorting at DELIVERY TIME is done in batches of up to
> $qmgr_message_recipient_limit.
>
> At DELIVERY TIME, the queue manager implements ROUND-ROBIN destination
> selection, and it enforces concurrency limits such that it will
> not deliver all recipients for the same domain at the same time
> (unlike some MTAs) even when those recipients are sorted together.
>
> This provides better load distribution than naive random destination
> selection.
>
> Wietse

Yes, thanks, agree on load distribution. In this case the problem is not
the load, I was just contemplating ways not to trigger various
(sometimes inaccurate) methods of spam filtering to complement what we
already have, but what we already have should probably be enough.

--
per

From: Wietse Venema on
Per olof Ljungmark:
> Yes, thanks, agree on load distribution. In this case the problem is not
> the load, I was just contemplating ways not to trigger various
> (sometimes inaccurate) methods of spam filtering to complement what we
> already have, but what we already have should probably be enough.

Postfix can enforce delays between deliveries to the same domain,
but the implementation is targeted at users with "consumer-grade"
service.

Wietse