From: Bill Cunningham on

"Ian Collins" <ian-news(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Have you read the recommended books yet?

Haven't look at it quite yet Ian but I intend too. As soon as I find the
books.

Bill

From: Rick Jones on
Bill Cunningham <nospam(a)nspam.invalid> wrote:
> "Rick Jones" <rick.jones2(a)hp.com> wrote in message

> > Do definitely get either Unix Network Programming or some similar
> > work. It will be invaluable.

> I'm just afraid that it will talk only about AF_UNIX and not get
> into internet networking. I understand there is a differenct in unix
> socket used internally by the machine and internet communication.

Do not let the title fool you "Unix Network Programming" spends a
great deal of time on internet networking - perhaps more so than on
AF_UNIX.

http://www.amazon.com/Unix-Network-Programming-Sockets-Networking/dp/0131411551/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270241419&sr=8-1

This would probably make a good companion:

http://www.amazon.com/Data-Computer-Communications-William-Stallings/dp/0132433109/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270241586&sr=1-1

rick jones
From: Rainer Weikusat on
"Bill Cunningham" <nospam(a)nspam.invalid> writes:
> "Rainer Weikusat" <rweikusat(a)mssgmbh.com> wrote in message
>> I tried to point out the difference between a declaration and an
>> operation.
>
> In your example you used 0 as the 3rd argument. Should I have
> done that?

Simple answer: Yes.

Complicated answer: The third argument to 'socket' is a protocol
number (see /etc/protocols for a list). Using '0' means 'chose the
default'. For PF_INET SOCK_DGRAM sockets, this is UDP, and for
SOCK_STREAM socket, TCP.

> Or should I leave the port numbers the way they are?

Port numbers belong to transport layer socket addresses. They are part
of the input for connect(2) or bind(2).
From: Bill Cunningham on

"Ian Collins" <ian-news(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Have you read the recommended books yet?

I just purchased "Unix networking" by Kochans I hope this helps with my
needs.

Bill

From: Scott Lurndal on
Rainer Weikusat <rweikusat(a)mssgmbh.com> writes:
>Doug McIntyre <merlyn(a)geeks.org> writes:

>>> I'm just afraid that it will talk only about AF_UNIX and not get into
>>>internet networking. I understand there is a differenct in unix socket used
>>>internally by the machine and internet communication.
>>
>> There's very little use of AF_UNIX compared to AF_INET in the real
>> world,
>
>PF_UNIX sockets are the preferable method for IPC on a single
>system. Also, the socket API itself is not tied to either protocol or
>address families.

preferable by whom?