From: Rick Jones on
Bill Cunningham <nospam(a)nspam.invalid> wrote:
> I just bought one by Kochans. Is it any good?

I don't know. Unless I've lost some bits in my memory I've not come
across that one before.

rick jones
From: Bill Cunningham on

"Rick Jones" <rick.jones2(a)hp.com> wrote in message

> As already mentioned, the third argument to socket() is not a port
> number. The third argument is a specification of a *transport*
> protocol - eg TCP, UDP, etc.

Ok While I am waiting for my book I thought I would ask about connect()
which is as I understand the next step after socket.
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/functions/connect.html

The first argument to connect is simple. The pointer to addr of type struct
is not so simple to me. Am I going to have to declare a type like thus,

struct sockadrr sock;

And use things like

sa_family_t family *fptr;

connect (smtp,family->fptr,sizeof(family));

??
I really feel I am showing my ignorance here. Here is the page I am looking
at.

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/basedefs/sys/socket.h.html

Bill

From: Bill Cunningham on

"Bill Cunningham" <nospam(a)nspam.invalid> wrote in message
> The first argument to connect is simple. The pointer to addr of type
> struct is not so simple to me. Am I going to have to declare a type like
> thus,
>
> struct sockadrr sock;

Oops. I mean

connect(smtp,family.sock,... I just don't know. I have been studing these
pages.

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/basedefs/sys/socket.h.html

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/functions/connect.html
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/functions/xsh_chap02_10.html

Bill

From: Barry Margolin on
In article <4bb647c2$0$12432$bbae4d71(a)news.suddenlink.net>,
"Bill Cunningham" <nospam(a)nspam.invalid> wrote:

> "Rick Jones" <rick.jones2(a)hp.com> wrote in message
>
> > Do definitely get either Unix Network Programming or some similar
> > work. It will be invaluable.
>
> I'm just afraid that it will talk only about AF_UNIX and not get into
> internet networking. I understand there is a differenct in unix socket used
> internally by the machine and internet communication.
>
> Bill

Why would a book on network programming concentrate on AF_UNIX sockets?
They're only useful for inter-process communication, not networking.

I think there's some mention of them in the book, because they use the
same API, but 90% of it is about network programming.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar(a)alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: Rainer Weikusat on
Ian Collins <ian-news(a)hotmail.com> writes:
> On 04/ 3/10 10:03 AM, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
>> scott(a)slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) writes:

>>> preferable by whom?
>>
>> People who understand IPC.
>
> Certainly not those who use Solaris.

Just because I am convinced that I am right doesn't necessarily mean I
actually am. But in absence of any factual statements about the topic,
I additionally claim that "people who use Solaris and don't use
AF_UNIX sockets for local IPC" will usually be people "who don't
understand IPC" (additionally qualified as 'local IPC among otherwise
unrelated processes') and that 'use of RPC' is a sure sign of a
confused mind :->.