From: John Kaufmann on
In a message dated 2010.06.07 16:38 -0500, R N D Martin wrote:

> Instances of this process seem to hang around in my system and my wife's after open
> office file's have been closed. If this happens several times in the course of a
> session it becomes impossible to open a new file without first starting task
> manager, and then stopping instances of soffice.bin one by one.

Interesting. I see no such effect; when I close OpenOffice, no residual
process remains. Do you have OO on QuickLaunch?

John

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: R N D Martin on
In article <4C0DDCF0.1010800(a)nb.net>, kaufmann(a)nb.net (John Kaufmann) wrote:

> *From:* John Kaufmann <kaufmann(a)nb.net>
> *To:* discuss(a)openoffice.org
> *Date:* Tue, 08 Jun 2010 02:02:24 -0400
>
> In a message dated 2010.06.07 16:38 -0500, R N D Martin wrote:
>
> > Instances of this process seem to hang around in my system and my
> > wife's after open
> > office file's have been closed. If this happens several times
> > in the course of a
> > session it becomes impossible to open a new file without first
> > starting task
> > manager, and then stopping instances of soffice.bin one by one.
>
> Interesting. I see no such effect; when I close OpenOffice, no
> residual process remains. Do you have OO on QuickLaunch?
>
> John

I don't have it on Quicklaunch, because I have too many other things loading at
startup, including Lotus which I still use for many purposes including Organizer
and Approach database.

Niall Martin

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: John Kaufmann on
Niall,

In a message dated 2010.06.08 14:15 -0500, R N D Martin wrote:

>>> Instances of this process seem to hang around in my system and
>>> my wife's after open office file's have been closed. If this
>>> happens several times in the course of a session it becomes
>>> impossible to open a new file without first starting task
>>> manager, and then stopping instances of soffice.bin one by one.
>>
>> Interesting. I see no such effect; when I close OpenOffice, no
>> residual process remains. Do you have OO on QuickLaunch?
>
> I don't have it on Quicklaunch, ....

Then I'm stumped. As i said, I see no residual process after closing OO.

From: Barbara Duprey on
R N D Martin wrote:
> In article <4C0DDCF0.1010800(a)nb.net>, kaufmann(a)nb.net (John Kaufmann) wrote:
>

>> *From:* John Kaufmann <kaufmann(a)nb.net>
>> *To:* discuss(a)openoffice.org
>> *Date:* Tue, 08 Jun 2010 02:02:24 -0400
>>
>> In a message dated 2010.06.07 16:38 -0500, R N D Martin wrote:
>>

>>> Instances of this process seem to hang around in my system and my
>>> wife's after open
>>> office file's have been closed. If this happens several times
>>> in the course of a
>>> session it becomes impossible to open a new file without first
>>> starting task
>>> manager, and then stopping instances of soffice.bin one by one.
>>>
>> Interesting. I see no such effect; when I close OpenOffice, no
>> residual process remains. Do you have OO on QuickLaunch?
>>
>> John
>>

> I don't have it on Quicklaunch, because I have too many other things loading at
> startup, including Lotus which I still use for many purposes including Organizer
> and Approach database.
>
> Niall Martin

I haven't seen multiple soffice.bin processes, though I have seen
several associated soffice.exe ones. Normal closing of the files does
not seem to remove them, but closing the session altogether generally
ends them all. Sometimes, though, file handling errors or other
circumstances (and I don't know which) leave them behind, and then the
soffice.bin process(es) have to be ended via Task Manager to be able to
reactivate OOo. I haven't seen what you describe, a buildup of these
processes while the session is still operating, with a maximum somehow
(probably due to the number of OS "handles" in use) that keeps new files
from opening. This may be worth an issue, if there isn't one already.
Does anybody know of one? It would be nice to know exactly what creates
these orphans.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Malte Timmermann on
R N D Martin wrote, On 06/08/10 20:15:
> In article <4C0DDCF0.1010800(a)nb.net>, kaufmann(a)nb.net (John Kaufmann) wrote:
>
>> *From:* John Kaufmann <kaufmann(a)nb.net>
>> *To:* discuss(a)openoffice.org
>> *Date:* Tue, 08 Jun 2010 02:02:24 -0400
>>
>> In a message dated 2010.06.07 16:38 -0500, R N D Martin wrote:
>>
>>> Instances of this process seem to hang around in my system and my
>>> wife's after open
>>> office file's have been closed. If this happens several times
>>> in the course of a
>>> session it becomes impossible to open a new file without first
>>> starting task
>>> manager, and then stopping instances of soffice.bin one by one.
>> Interesting. I see no such effect; when I close OpenOffice, no
>> residual process remains. Do you have OO on QuickLaunch?
>>
>> John
>>
> I don't have it on Quicklaunch, because I have too many other things loading at
> startup, including Lotus which I still use for many purposes including Organizer
> and Approach database.

Well, if you also use Lotus Symphony, that would be the explanation.

Lotus Symphony is based on OOo, and also launches soffice.bin.

But in opposite to OOo, Lotus Symphony doesn't terminate soffice.bin
when you exit Lotus Symphony....

Malte.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org