From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Richard" <richx(a)optonline.net>

| I am looking for some suggestions. I have Vostro with a dual core processor
| & 4 g ram. I have a substantial amout of software installed which makes
| booting a 15 minute process.

| I was wondering if I could create a small network where the main computer
| would access a server for the software. I know most software sets pointers
| and stuff in the registry - and has small bits of code loaded at boot up.
| How - if it can be done at all - can I speed up the boot - even if loading
| the individual programs is a little slower.

| Any ideas will be appreciated.

1. Defrag.

2. Reduce the number of software stubs being loaded (QuickTime Qtask, HP Update, etc)

--
Dave

From: glee on
"Richard" <richx(a)optonline.net> wrote in message
>I am looking for some suggestions. I have Vostro with a dual core
>processor & 4 g ram. I have a substantial amout of software installed
>which makes booting a 15 minute process.
>
> I was wondering if I could create a small network where the main
> computer would access a server for the software. I know most software
> sets pointers and stuff in the registry - and has small bits of code
> loaded at boot up. How - if it can be done at all - can I speed up the
> boot - even if loading the individual programs is a little slower.
>
> Any ideas will be appreciated.

Download the HijackThis installer, and then install HijackThis.

HijackThis installer:
http://go.trendmicro.com/free-tools/hijackthis/HijackThisInstaller.exe

Start HijackThis but do NOT do a HijackThis scan.

If it starts at its Startup Screen, click the button for "Open the Misc
Tools section", then click the "Generate StartupList Log" button.
Do not check the boxes to the right of the button.

If it starts at the Scan screen, do not scan. Instead, click the
"Config" button in the lower right of the program, then click the "Misc
Tools" button at the top of the next screen.
In the System Tools list, click the "Generate StartupList Log" button.

The log will open in Notepad.
Copy and paste the contents of the log into your reply here.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "glee" <glee29(a)spamindspring.com>

| "Richard" <richx(a)optonline.net> wrote in message
>>I am looking for some suggestions. I have Vostro with a dual core
>>processor & 4 g ram. I have a substantial amout of software installed
>>which makes booting a 15 minute process.

>> I was wondering if I could create a small network where the main
>> computer would access a server for the software. I know most software
>> sets pointers and stuff in the registry - and has small bits of code
>> loaded at boot up. How - if it can be done at all - can I speed up the
>> boot - even if loading the individual programs is a little slower.

>> Any ideas will be appreciated.

| Download the HijackThis installer, and then install HijackThis.

| HijackThis installer:
| http://go.trendmicro.com/free-tools/hijackthis/HijackThisInstaller.exe

| Start HijackThis but do NOT do a HijackThis scan.

| If it starts at its Startup Screen, click the button for "Open the Misc
| Tools section", then click the "Generate StartupList Log" button.
| Do not check the boxes to the right of the button.

| If it starts at the Scan screen, do not scan. Instead, click the
| "Config" button in the lower right of the program, then click the "Misc
| Tools" button at the top of the next screen.
| In the System Tools list, click the "Generate StartupList Log" button.

| The log will open in Notepad.
| Copy and paste the contents of the log into your reply here.
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
| A+
| http://dts-l.net/

/* No, plaese do NOT post HJT! logs here. */

Glen, you should know that :-(

--
Dave

From: glee on
> From: "glee" <glee29(a)spamindspring.com>
>
> | "Richard" <richx(a)optonline.net> wrote in message
>>>I am looking for some suggestions. I have Vostro with a dual core
>>>processor & 4 g ram. I have a substantial amout of software installed
>>>which makes booting a 15 minute process.
>
>>> I was wondering if I could create a small network where the main
>>> computer would access a server for the software. I know most
>>> software
>>> sets pointers and stuff in the registry - and has small bits of code
>>> loaded at boot up. How - if it can be done at all - can I speed up
>>> the
>>> boot - even if loading the individual programs is a little slower.
>
>>> Any ideas will be appreciated.
>
> | Download the HijackThis installer, and then install HijackThis.
>
> | HijackThis installer:
> |
> http://go.trendmicro.com/free-tools/hijackthis/HijackThisInstaller.exe
>

> | Start HijackThis but do NOT do a HijackThis scan.
>
> | If it starts at its Startup Screen, click the button for "Open the
> Misc
> | Tools section", then click the "Generate StartupList Log" button.
> | Do not check the boxes to the right of the button.
>
> | If it starts at the Scan screen, do not scan. Instead, click the
> | "Config" button in the lower right of the program, then click the
> "Misc
> | Tools" button at the top of the next screen.
> | In the System Tools list, click the "Generate StartupList Log"
> button.
>
> | The log will open in Notepad.
> | Copy and paste the contents of the log into your reply here.
> | --
> | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
> | A+
> | http://dts-l.net/
>
> /* No, plaese do NOT post HJT! logs here. */
>
> Glen, you should know that :-(

I specifically stated:

"Start HijackThis but do NOT do a HijackThis scan"
and
"In the System Tools list, click the "Generate StartupList Log" button."

I have read StarupList log files in newsgroups for years...these are not
HijackThis logs, and there is no reason why they can't be used to
examine startup issues, any more than using msinfo32 to generate a
less-extensive startup list and copy/pasting that info. That too has
been done at the request of many on the groups, including MVPs, for
years.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "glee" <glee29(a)spamindspring.com>

>> From: "glee" <glee29(a)spamindspring.com>

>> | "Richard" <richx(a)optonline.net> wrote in message

>> | Download the HijackThis installer, and then install HijackThis.

>> | HijackThis installer:
>> |
>> http://go.trendmicro.com/free-tools/hijackthis/HijackThisInstaller.exe

>> | Start HijackThis but do NOT do a HijackThis scan.

>> | If it starts at its Startup Screen, click the button for "Open the
>> Misc
>> | Tools section", then click the "Generate StartupList Log" button.
>> | Do not check the boxes to the right of the button.

>> | If it starts at the Scan screen, do not scan. Instead, click the
>> | "Config" button in the lower right of the program, then click the
>> "Misc
>> | Tools" button at the top of the next screen.
>> | In the System Tools list, click the "Generate StartupList Log"
>> button.

>> | The log will open in Notepad.
>> | Copy and paste the contents of the log into your reply here.
>> | --
>> | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
>> | A+
>> | http://dts-l.net/

>> /* No, plaese do NOT post HJT! logs here. */

>> Glen, you should know that :-(

| I specifically stated:

| "Start HijackThis but do NOT do a HijackThis scan"
| and
| "In the System Tools list, click the "Generate StartupList Log" button."

| I have read StarupList log files in newsgroups for years...these are not
| HijackThis logs, and there is no reason why they can't be used to
| examine startup issues, any more than using msinfo32 to generate a
| less-extensive startup list and copy/pasting that info. That too has
| been done at the request of many on the groups, including MVPs, for
| years.
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
| A+
| http://dts-l.net/

Sorry...
My mistake Glen :-(