From: Richard on
I am looking for some suggestions. I have Vostro with a dual core processor
& 4 g ram. I have a substantial amout of software installed which makes
booting a 15 minute process.

I was wondering if I could create a small network where the main computer
would access a server for the software. I know most software sets pointers
and stuff in the registry - and has small bits of code loaded at boot up.
How - if it can be done at all - can I speed up the boot - even if loading
the individual programs is a little slower.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

From: Unknown on
Go through your programs and load ONLY those absolutely needed at startup.
Look at properties of each program
and deactivate any startups. You can also uncheck items in your startup
folder.
Then you can delete items in the registry at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\
run.
Example: If after booting up you are not going to browse the net, why load
IE? Wait till you want to browse
then, click on IE.

From: occam on
On 20/03/2010 3:22 PM, Richard wrote:
> I am looking for some suggestions. I have Vostro with a dual core processor
> & 4 g ram. I have a substantial amout of software installed which makes
> booting a 15 minute process.
>
> I was wondering if I could create a small network where the main computer
> would access a server for the software. I know most software sets pointers
> and stuff in the registry - and has small bits of code loaded at boot up.
> How - if it can be done at all - can I speed up the boot - even if loading
> the individual programs is a little slower.
>
> Any ideas will be appreciated.

Try 'StartupLite'
http://www.malwarebytes.org/startuplite.php

It will suggest which startups are necessary, which not
From: mikeyhsd on
eliminate everything from startup that you do not need immediately after booting.
then using task scheduler, start the programs after boot.

mikeyhsd(a)hotmail.com

From: LD55ZRA on
I suggest read this article:

http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/maintenance/speed.aspx

If this article doesn't help then I can categorically tell you that nothing
will. Your only option would be to reformat the HD and then start all over
again.

hth