From: D. Blair Favrot on
How is the allocation of cost basis made upon a spin off?

blair Favrot

From: Sharx35 on
If you can afford shares, you can afford to pay for professional
advice--call a professional OR, GOOGLE it.

From: Eric on
Go to the web sites of the companies involved. Usually the company that does
the spin off will explain on its stockholder page.

Or else wait for mailing that you will receive.

Eric

From: R. C. White on
Hi, Blair.

This topic comes up at least a couple of times a year here, so the archives
are rich with information about spin-offs.

The simple explanation is that cost of the original shares is allocated on
the ratio of FMV (Fair Market Value) of the old and new shares immediately
after the transaction.

Quicken's wizard (formerly called Easy Actions) for Corporate Securities
Spin-Off handles it correctly, but still (in Q2008 Deluxe) has a
long-standing misleading caption that causes confusion. Where it asks for
"Cost per old share ___ (post spin-off)" and "Cost per new share ___", it
should ask for FMV per share immediately after the spin-off. "Cost" of the
shares is what we are trying to determine, so we don't know those numbers
until the calculations are done.

Everybody knows the FMV of the old shares before the spin-off, but nobody
knows until "the morning after" how much of that value is represented by the
assets that are about to be spun off. After the transaction, the prices at
which the deflated shares of the original company trade, and the prices paid
for the new shares, can tell us what percentage of the original value was
attributable to the assets spun into the new company. If the shares of the
spun-off company sell for $20 and the old shares now sell for $80, we can
calculate that 20% of the value of the previous whole package was
attributable to those shares. So we allocate 20% of what we paid for our
original shares to the shares in the new company that we receive, reducing
our basis in our original shares to 80% of what we actually paid for the
whole package.

That simple example assumes a 1-for-1-share spin-off. If we receive 5
shares of the new company for every 1 share that we hold in the old company,
then we must multiply the per-share FMV of each new share by 5 to see how
much of the original value is represented by the spun-out assets.

Obviously, nobody can do anything but guess about these ratios until some
actual transactions have taken place AFTER the deal. And there are several
different ways to determine those FMVs (opening transaction on the day
after, closing quote that day, average of high and low - and others). But
the parent company's lawyers, accountants and investment bankers will
produce their version within a day or two after the transaction and we can
be pretty sure that the IRS will not disagree if we use those values. As
Eric said, all the details we need - except how to enter it in Quicken -
will probably be on the parent company's website in less than a week,
probably under Investor Relations or some similar heading. (We can probably
help you find the page if you tell us the name of the company.)

In Quicken, just follow the steps, making sure to enter the per-share FMVs,
not the cost, of old and new shares, and Quicken should do the rest. If you
held multiple lots of old shares, Quicken will adjust each of them
automatically. The only caveat is that, if you look back to a historical
point before the spin-off, you will see shares of a spun-off company that
didn't even exist at that time. This is because the tax rules treat the new
shares as though they were acquired when the original shares were acquired.
Just remember to watch out for this tax code provision which can't easily be
handled in a program like Quicken.

Remember that I've been retired for over a dozen years, Blair, and tax rules
change daily, so be sure to check with your own CPA to be sure that my
explanation is still accurate and current.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

From: Bob L on

"D. Blair Favrot" <dbfavrot(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> How is the allocation of cost basis made upon a spin off?
>
> blair Favrot

Which company? You should be able to find information online at the company
website.