From: Raymond Shaw on
"Roy Colson" <rcolsonNoSpam(a)nyc.rr.com> wrote:

>Dell Vestro 200, Windows XP SP3.
>
>My computer on occasion (not very often) will spontaneously reboot.
>
>What would case this and is there a fix.

Hundreds of things can cause it and there are hundreds of fixes.

That answer is exactly as useful as your question.
From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:58:10 -0400, "Roy Colson"
<rcolsonNoSpam(a)nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> Dell Vestro 200, Windows XP SP3.
>
> My computer on occasion (not very often) will spontaneously reboot.
>
> What would case this and is there a fix.

You are presumably blue-screening and are set to the default (a poor
default, in my view) of rebooting when that happens. Right-click on My
Computer and choose Properties. On the "Advanced" tab, under "Startup
and Recovery," click "Settings," then under "System failure," uncheck
the box "Automatically restart." That will prevent it from restarting
and keep the blue screen up.

Then you will be to read the blue screen and copy down what it says.
Post back with that information for more help.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Roy Colson on
Automatically Restart is not checked.

From: Jim on
On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:58:10 -0400, "Roy Colson"
<rcolsonNoSpam(a)nyc.rr.com> wrote:

>Dell Vestro 200, Windows XP SP3.
>
>My computer on occasion (not very often) will spontaneously reboot.
>
>What would case this and is there a fix.

System gets too hot ?
From: Richard on
>>> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:58:10 -0400, "Roy Colson"
>>> <rcolsonNoSpam(a)nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dell Vestro 200, Windows XP SP3.
>>>
>>> My computer on occasion (not very often) will spontaneously reboot.
>>>
>>> What would case this and is there a fix.

>> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>> You are presumably blue-screening and are set to the default (a poor
>> default, in my view) of rebooting when that happens. Right-click on My
>> Computer and choose Properties. On the "Advanced" tab, under "Startup
>> and Recovery," click "Settings," then under "System failure," uncheck
>> the box "Automatically restart." That will prevent it from restarting
>> and keep the blue screen up.
>>
>> Then you will be to read the blue screen and copy down what it says.
>> Post back with that information for more help.
>>
>> --
>> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
>> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

> "Roy Colson" <rcolsonNoSpam(a)nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Automatically Restart is not checked.

Hi Roy,

Are you getting an error screen before it reboots?
Try pressing your Pause/Break key to freeze the error message.

Right click My Computer, click Properties, click Advanced (tab)
under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
Is there a checkmark before "Write an event to the system log"?

Start> (all)Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Event Viewer> System
Look for error messages there. Double click to view. The button beneath the
up and down arrow buttons is the copy to clipboard button. Paste complete
error message(s) here if any.

(Hope this helps. :)
--Richard