From: GFRfan on
I usually get answers simply by reading this forum but I have found
nothing, anywhere, on this problem.
Seems I saw something about this subject a while ago.
A couple of days ago I started to get popups on my computer. I mean
overwhelming amounts of popups. Did a scan and came up with a trojan
(Can't remember it's name right off hand) and everytime it was deleted
it came back. I did a search and came up with a few entries that could
be trojan related. One of these was spoolsv.exe. I deleted these files
in safe mode and the popups stopped. Today I tried to use my printer and
got a message that spooler was turned off. I tried to turn it on and,
well, the file spoolersv I deleted was the Windows\System32 file that IS
supposed to be there.
Long story short, how can I recover or download this essential file? If
I do a Google, (not Googkle (mistyped) which is how I think I got the
trojan in the first place) search and all I can find is the references
to spoolsv.exe as a trojan with a couple of notes that if it is in the
System32 file it is ok. Duh!! This is the first time I've screwed up my
computer by being stupid.(Yeah. That's the ticket. ;^)
Thanks.
From: Quilljar on
The file should be on your Windows CD do a search for it using Windows
Explore?
--
Cheers,

Quilly

An individual reply goes into my spam filter

From: riddick on

"GFRfan" <grandfunk(a)livez.com> wrote in message
>I usually get answers simply by reading this forum but I have found
>nothing, anywhere, on this problem.
> Seems I saw something about this subject a while ago.
> A couple of days ago I started to get popups on my computer. I mean
> overwhelming amounts of popups. Did a scan and came up with a trojan
> (Can't remember it's name right off hand) and everytime it was deleted it
> came back. I did a search and came up with a few entries that could be
> trojan related. One of these was spoolsv.exe. I deleted these files in
> safe mode and the popups stopped. Today I tried to use my printer and got
> a message that spooler was turned off. I tried to turn it on and, well,
> the file spoolersv I deleted was the Windows\System32 file that IS
> supposed to be there.
> Long story short, how can I recover or download this essential file? If I
> do a Google, (not Googkle (mistyped) which is how I think I got the trojan
> in the first place) search and all I can find is the references to
> spoolsv.exe as a trojan with a couple of notes that if it is in the
> System32 file it is ok. Duh!! This is the first time I've screwed up my
> computer by being stupid.(Yeah. That's the ticket. ;^)
> Thanks.

System Restore may put it back. A repair install will put it back.

From: relic on
GFRfan wrote:
> I usually get answers simply by reading this forum but I have found
> nothing, anywhere, on this problem.
> Seems I saw something about this subject a while ago.
> A couple of days ago I started to get popups on my computer. I mean
> overwhelming amounts of popups. Did a scan and came up with a trojan
> (Can't remember it's name right off hand) and everytime it was deleted
> it came back. I did a search and came up with a few entries that could
> be trojan related. One of these was spoolsv.exe. I deleted these files
> in safe mode and the popups stopped. Today I tried to use my printer
> and got a message that spooler was turned off. I tried to turn it on
> and, well, the file spoolersv I deleted was the Windows\System32 file
> that IS supposed to be there.
> Long story short, how can I recover or download this essential file?
> If I do a Google, (not Googkle (mistyped) which is how I think I got
> the trojan in the first place) search and all I can find is the
> references to spoolsv.exe as a trojan with a couple of notes that if
> it is in the System32 file it is ok. Duh!! This is the first time
> I've screwed up my computer by being stupid.(Yeah. That's the ticket.
> ;^) Thanks.

Use a slipstreamed XP CD and do sfc /scannow

--
If there is a Tourist Season, how come we can't shoot them?

From: GFRfan on
relic wrote:
> GFRfan wrote:
>
>>I usually get answers simply by reading this forum but I have found
>>nothing, anywhere, on this problem.
>>Seems I saw something about this subject a while ago.
>>A couple of days ago I started to get popups on my computer. I mean
>>overwhelming amounts of popups. Did a scan and came up with a trojan
>>(Can't remember it's name right off hand) and everytime it was deleted
>>it came back. I did a search and came up with a few entries that could
>>be trojan related. One of these was spoolsv.exe. I deleted these files
>>in safe mode and the popups stopped. Today I tried to use my printer
>>and got a message that spooler was turned off. I tried to turn it on
>>and, well, the file spoolersv I deleted was the Windows\System32 file
>>that IS supposed to be there.
>>Long story short, how can I recover or download this essential file?
>>If I do a Google, (not Googkle (mistyped) which is how I think I got
>>the trojan in the first place) search and all I can find is the
>>references to spoolsv.exe as a trojan with a couple of notes that if
>>it is in the System32 file it is ok. Duh!! This is the first time
>>I've screwed up my computer by being stupid.(Yeah. That's the ticket.
>>;^) Thanks.
>

> Use a slipstreamed XP CD and do sfc /scannow

Thanks but the real problem is that I am on a factory built box that has
no windows XP cd and only has a restore cd that makes me restore the
entire computer to get a file off of it. I guess I'm screwed and will
have to do the entire restore. All programs will be lost but oh well.
That's the price I pay for not reading enough. Thanks again. I was
hoping there was a place on the internet that I could download the file
biut it seems no dice.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: MUICache