From: Richard A Nelson on
On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Chavdar Videff wrote:

> Recently my boss wanted to be able to check his mail through a web interface
> when he is abroad.
> After some initial searching I decided to test Squirrelmail.
> Installation and initial configuration was OK. It is now accessed through the
> browser.

Try dovecot - it includes both pop and imap servers, and setup was
trivial

--
Rick Nelson
<Manoj> shaleh: I am not, despite your implication, God

Chavdar Videff said:
> On Thursday 09 June 2005 18:43, Chavdar Videff wrote:
>>
>> Installed dovecot.
>> Got the following error:
>> ==========
>> /etc/rc2.d/S21dovecot start
>> Starting mail server: dovecotWarning: Corrected permissions for login
>> directory /var/run/dovecot/login
>> ==========
>>
>> Now nobody can check their mail if a new message has arrived:
>>

> Fixed that by reinstalling popa3d and running dovecot for imap only.
> Now the only major problem that remained is Squirrelmail.
> When there is no new mail - a user can log in and browse the folders
> and even send mail. The moment a new mail for that user arrives
> squirrelmail displays an Internal error
> ERROR : Could not complete request.
> Query: SELECT "INBOX"
> Reason Given: Internal error occured. Refer to server log for more
> information.
> The log says:
>
> Jun 9 19:15:14 mail1 imap-login: Login: chaves [127.0.0.1]
> Jun 9 19:15:14 mail1 imap(chaves): open(/var/mail/chaves.lock) failed:
> Permission denied

<snip>

> I have to download mail with a mail client and then again can I browse
> the folders of squirrelmail.
>

> ANy further help?
>
> Regards
>
> Chavdar Videff

I'm running Woody + sendmail with Dovecot from backports.org. Just a few
days ago I made the switch from qpopper to Dovecot. Yesterday I installed
SquirrelMail and all seems fine.
I have Dovecot setup to use IMAP and POP3.

The problem I see with your setup ... and I could be totally off-base ...
is that your mail is owned by root. Of course, permission is denied. My
setup may be wrong, but permissions on my user's mail is user.mail .
Raquel

On Thursday 09 June 2005 19:31, Raquel Rice wrote:
> > Now the only major problem that remained is Squirrelmail.
> > When there is no new mail - a user can log in and browse the folders
> > and even send mail. The moment a new mail for that user arrives
> > squirrelmail displays an Internal error
> > ERROR : Could not complete request.
> > Query: SELECT "INBOX"
> > Reason Given: Internal error occured. Refer to server log for more
> > information.
> > The log says:
> >
> > Jun 9 19:15:14 mail1 imap-login: Login: chaves [127.0.0.1]
> > Jun 9 19:15:14 mail1 imap(chaves): open(/var/mail/chaves.lock) failed:
> > Permission denied
>
> <snip>
>
> I'm running Woody + sendmail with Dovecot from backports.org. Just a few
> days ago I made the switch from qpopper to Dovecot. Yesterday I installed
> SquirrelMail and all seems fine.
> I have Dovecot setup to use IMAP and POP3.
>
> The problem I see with your setup ... and I could be totally off-base ...
> is that your mail is owned by root. Of course, permission is denied. My
> setup may be wrong, but permissions on my user's mail is user.mail .
> Raquel

This is what bothered me for some time. How can I change this behaviour?
My setup:
Sendmail receives messages - passes them to a Kaspersky Antivrus Milter to be
examined - then delivered to procmail that invokes spamassassin for further
examination.
Which program do I have to tell to change ownership to mail.

Regards

Chavdar Videff

Chavdar Videff said:
> On Thursday 09 June 2005 19:31, Raquel Rice wrote:
>>
>> I'm running Woody + sendmail with Dovecot from backports.org. Just a
>> few days ago I made the switch from qpopper to Dovecot. Yesterday I
>> installed SquirrelMail and all seems fine.
>> I have Dovecot setup to use IMAP and POP3.
>>
>> The problem I see with your setup ... and I could be totally off-base
>> ... is that your mail is owned by root. Of course, permission is
>> denied. My setup may be wrong, but permissions on my user's mail is
>> user.mail . Raquel
>
> This is what bothered me for some time. How can I change this
> behaviour? My setup:
> Sendmail receives messages - passes them to a Kaspersky Antivrus Milter
> to be examined - then delivered to procmail that invokes spamassassin
> for further examination.
> Which program do I have to tell to change ownership to mail.
>
> Regards
>
> Chavdar Videff

Someone else will have to help you with that. Sorry. I set it up some
time ago, but I do remember having to instruct something in the mail chain
not to run as root. (too many exploits possible)
Raquel

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Network problem