From: Chavdar Videff on
Hi List,

First of all thank you for all your replies I have recieved so far on several
occasions.

I have the following problem:

We have a mailserver running Sendmail 8.13 on Debian unstable. Our clients
connect through POP3 to fetch mail.
Recently my boss wanted to be able to check his mail through a web interface
when he is abroad.
After some initial searching I decided to test Squirrelmail.
Installation and initial configuration was OK. It is now accessed through the
browser.
But there is the following problem: since we get mail through POP3 I cannot
figure out how to have both POP3 and IMAP on the same machine.
I installed cyrus-imapd and I can log in squirrelmail. But all I get is error
messages in the browser:

ERROR : Could not complete request.
Query: SELECT "INBOX"
Reason Given: Mailbox does not exist

and

ERROR : Could not complete request.
Query: CREATE "INBOX.Sent"
Reason Given: Permission denied

I couldn't find a working solution at squirrelmail website.

ANY hints?

Regards

Chavdar Videff

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 03:12:42PM +0300, Chavdar Videff wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> First of all thank you for all your replies I have recieved so far on several
> occasions.
>
> I have the following problem:
>
> We have a mailserver running Sendmail 8.13 on Debian unstable. Our clients
> connect through POP3 to fetch mail.

I'm sorry, but why are you runnifng Unstable on a server? Especially
when the version of sendmail you are currently using is in the just
released stable. Judging from the rest of your email (which I have
snipped) it looks like you have this system in production. Are you
certain you want it running unstable?

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr
From: Chavdar Videff on
On Thursday 09 June 2005 16:59, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> I'm sorry, but why are you runnifng Unstable on a server? Especially
> when the version of sendmail you are currently using is in the just
> released stable. Judging from the rest of your email (which I have
> snipped) it looks like you have this system in production. Are you
> certain you want it running unstable?
>
> -Roberto

I am running it on Unstable because the stable release was way too old and
wouldn't support my hardware and in order to use kernels 2.6 I had to install
a lot of things that were not available otherwise.

However I don't think it is an unstable issue but rather an issue of proper
configuration which I could not find documented properly or perhaps am not
experienced enough to solve myself

Regards

Chavdar Videff

On Thursday 09 June 2005 18:12, you wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Chavdar Videff wrote:
> > Recently my boss wanted to be able to check his mail through a web
> > interface when he is abroad.
> > After some initial searching I decided to test Squirrelmail.
> > Installation and initial configuration was OK. It is now accessed through
> > the browser.
>
> Try dovecot - it includes both pop and imap servers, and setup was
> trivial

Installed dovecot.
Got the following error:
==========
/etc/rc2.d/S21dovecot start
Starting mail server: dovecotWarning: Corrected permissions for login
directory /var/run/dovecot/login
==========

Now nobody can check their mail if a new message has arrived:

The error in /var/log/mail.log is:

Jun 9 18:35:37 mail1 pop3(chavdar): open(/var/mail/chavdar.lock) failed:
Permission denied
Jun 9 18:35:37 mail1 pop3(chavdar): file_lock_dotlock() failed with mbox
file /var/mail/chavdar: Permission denied

So far the permissions of all mboxes in /var/mail were

-rw------- 1 trade1 root 1768928 Jun 8 19:20 trade1
-rw------- 1 trade2 root 5585155 Jun 7 09:21 trade2
-rw------- 1 trade3 root 1733158 Feb 25 14:44 trade3

Is it the problem. It worked so far. Will receiving mail break if I reset
ownership to root.root

Regards

Chavdar Videff

On Thursday 09 June 2005 18:43, Chavdar Videff wrote:

> Installed dovecot.
> Got the following error:
> ==========
> /etc/rc2.d/S21dovecot start
> Starting mail server: dovecotWarning: Corrected permissions for login
> directory /var/run/dovecot/login
> ==========
>
> Now nobody can check their mail if a new message has arrived:

Fixed that by reinstalling popa3d and running dovecot for imap only.
Now the only major problem that remained is Squirrelmail.
When there is no new mail - a user can log in and browse the folders and even
send mail. The moment a new mail for that user arrives squirrelmail displays
an Internal error
ERROR : Could not complete request.
Query: SELECT "INBOX"
Reason Given: Internal error occured. Refer to server log for more
information.
The log says:

Jun 9 19:15:14 mail1 imap-login: Login: chaves [127.0.0.1]
Jun 9 19:15:14 mail1 imap(chaves): open(/var/mail/chaves.lock) failed:
Permission denied
Jun 9 19:15:14 mail1 imap(chaves): file_lock_dotlock() failed with mbox
file /var/mail/chaves: Permission denied
Jun 9 19:15:14 mail1 imap(chaves): open(/var/mail/chaves.lock) failed:
Permission denied
Jun 9 19:15:14 mail1 imap(chaves): file_lock_dotlock() failed with mbox
file /var/mail/chaves: Permission denied

I have to download mail with a mail client and then again can I browse the
folders of squirrelmail.

ANy further help?

Regards

Chavdar Videff