From: Nathan Baker on
"cr88192" <cr88192(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "wolfgang kern" <nowhere(a)never.at> wrote in message
>>
>> So I actually wont care the time to assemble a piece of code
>> as long the end-user get what he expect in terms of reliabilty
>> and performance. [C-\+users and friends may see this different].
>>

> well, the simple answer for this one is for people not to write apps in
> Python...
>
> Python is convinient for some developers, but many of the apps I have had
> the most frustration with have been Python apps (poor performance,
> randomly failing due to runtime errors, ...).

Scripting languages provide beneficial aspects to a specific set of use
cases -- situations where using compiled (or hand-coded ASM) code would be a
ridiculous choice.

That said, I do see a small trend back to a performance-oriented development
approach -- due to failure of CPU makers to address the issue.

One, Google developed a new 'system programming language' called "Go" which
brings some scripting-language features to the table.. amoung other goodies.

Two, Facebook developed a compiler for a derivative of PHP... and it
outperforms existing JIT implementations.

Nathan.

From: James Harris on
On 8 Apr, 20:13, "Nathan Baker" <nathancba...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> That said, I do see a small trend back to a performance-oriented development
> approach -- due to failure of CPU makers to address the issue.

What have the CPU makers not done?

James
From: Nathan Baker on
> On 8 Apr, 20:13, "Nathan Baker" <nathancba...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>> That said, I do see a small trend back to a performance-oriented
>> development
>> approach -- due to failure of CPU makers to address the issue.
>
> What have the CPU makers not done?

There was a time when, every few years, the CPU clock speed seemed to be
increasing geometrically...

1 MHz
8 MHz
25 MHz
90 MHz
133 MHz
500 MHz

But when they got into the GHz range, the trend stopped. There is no longer
a "user noticable" increase in performance gained by purchasing new
hardware. This places the burden on software.

Nathan.

From: James Harris on
On 8 Apr, 22:48, "Nathan Baker" <nathancba...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

Forgive me but from at least two perspectives that's an extraordinary
viewpoint. I thought you might be referring to compilers and other
development tools.

First, when an industry has progressed geometrically (your term) and
*sustained* that improvement for such a long period of time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_and_chessboard_problem

to refer to the "failure of CPU makers to address the issue" says they
have somehow failed. I would call what they have accomplished a
success.

Second, the user-noticeable increase in performance (your term) has
lagged way behind hardware improvements. AIUI the problem is software.
User interfaces and inefficient code continue to swallow up much of
the increases in hardware speeds. So rather than hardware placing the
burden on software, the burden is software.

On topic for at least one of the crossposted groups (comp.lang.misc)
we ought to be able to design a language that can exploit and benefit
from the amazing hardware we programmers now have available.

We've never had it so good! For example, as mentioned at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cray-1

one of the early supercomputers

* weighed 5 or 6 tons
* consumed over 100 kilowatts of power
* cost millions
* and had a cycle time of 12.5 ns

That means it ran at a lowly 80 MHz. I know they don't have vector
units etc but even mobile phones clock faster than that now.

James
From: Robert Redelmeier on
In alt.lang.asm Nathan Baker <nathancbaker(a)gmail.com> wrote in part:
> There was a time when, every few years, the CPU clock speed
> seemed to be increasing geometrically...
>
> 1 MHz > 8 MHz > 25 MHz > 90 MHz > 133 MHz > 500 MHz
>
> But when they got into the GHz range, the trend stopped. There is
> no longer a "user noticable" increase in performance gained by
> purchasing new hardware. This places the burden on software.

Even outside of niches (video compression is still CPU-bound), this
really is not true. The trend stopped mostly because it didn't pay.
CPU time has dwindled to insignificance for common tasks, but other
things (video rendering, disk seek, network response) have not.

People can see signficant improvements in some tasks
with appropriate hardware upgrades like videocards and SSDs.
MS-Windows can boot in 10-15s with the latter.

As for fixing software, fast CPUs _reduce_ the cost of locally
suboptimal code. What matters is high-level optimization.

As an example, Firefox can be made to open much quicker if you
disable automatic checking for updates and set it to open on a
blank page. Perhaps Firefox should delay update checking.
This makes a bigger difference than a 2.0 vs 2.5 GHz CPU speed.

-- Robert