From: Mark Morss on
Is there some way to stop all the adverts on this board? The place is
pretty much useless the way it is.
From: aeroguy on
On Dec 9, 7:47 pm, Mark Morss <mfmo...(a)aep.com> wrote:
> Is there some way to stop all the adverts on this board?  The place is
> pretty much useless the way it is.

Yes true. its getting so nasty... i always click that report as spam,
but nothing is changing?

Do anyone have an idea what can be done?
From: baf on
Mark Morss wrote:
> Is there some way to stop all the adverts on this board? The place is
> pretty much useless the way it is.

There are free and very low cost newsgroup feeds that do block the spam
and work great. I use news.individual.com for $15/year.

From: Ken Fairfield on
On Dec 9, 8:20 am, baf <b...(a)nowhere.net> wrote:
> Mark Morss wrote:
> > Is there some way to stop all the adverts on this board?  The place is
> > pretty much useless the way it is.
>
> There are free and very low cost newsgroup feeds that do block the spam
> and work great.  I use news.individual.com for $15/year.

I think we had this discussion earlier in the
year. The consensus was that if you use a "real"
news reader, and/or a good news feed, you can
avoid seeing the spam.

But like many, I'm constrained to use Google Groups
by my employer's firewall. :-(

Previously I'd clicked on the "More Options" link
for a message and chosen the "Report this message"
link, which allows/requires you to describe the problem
with the message. I'd specifically ask that the poster
be blocked. That seemed to have some passing effect,
but it also required a lot of time and effort on
my part. I gave up after about 3 weeks.

Recently, Google Groups added a "Report Discussion
as Spam" link. I used that religiously for about
two weeks to no good effect. :-( I don't know what
that link does, or is intended to do, but it seems
to be linked to the particular message thread only
and not to the poster that started it (i.e., the ads).

I've resigned myself to just to a "visual filter"
when I'm using Google Groups. TANSTAAFL, sigh...

-Ken
From: Aris on
baf <baf(a)nowhere.net> wrote:
> Mark Morss wrote:
>> Is there some way to stop all the adverts on this board? The place is
>> pretty much useless the way it is.
>
> There are free and very low cost newsgroup feeds that do block the spam
> and work great. I use news.individual.com for $15/year.

news.albasani.net is for free.