From: happyscientist on

Please help! Somehow I got the SWP 2009 demo on my computer. I have
searched for the sysguard.exe file and deleted it and the folder that it
was in under C:/Program Files. I have Norton 2010 and it keeps blocking
it but won't remove it. I cannot get Internet Explorer to connect even
to google.com to get to the websites to download the malware removal
programs. I cannot even do ctrl+alt+del (it says Task Manager has been
disabled by your system administrator), which I know we did not do, so I
cannot end the task. I deleted the sysguard.exe and restarted and the
program still started up. What do I do???

--
happyscientist
happyscientist's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/146099.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Rich on

"happyscientist" wrote:

> Please help! Somehow I got the SWP 2009 demo on my computer. I have
> searched for the sysguard.exe file and deleted it and the folder that it
> was in under C:/Program Files. I have Norton 2010 and it keeps blocking
> it but won't remove it. I cannot get Internet Explorer to connect even
> to google.com to get to the websites to download the malware removal
> programs. I cannot even do ctrl+alt+del (it says Task Manager has been
> disabled by your system administrator), which I know we did not do, so I
> cannot end the task. I deleted the sysguard.exe and restarted and the
> program still started up. What do I do???
>

> --
> happyscientist
> happyscientist's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/146099.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/security-virus/1118668.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in
>
> .

SWP2009 is intercepting the call to task manager and causing the reported
message. The version that hit my computer did not cover all the bases,
though, and I could get to the process listing by using Ctrl+Shift+Esc. Once
you have shut down the offending task continue as in the previous post(s).
One other thing to note is that the version that hit me added entries into
the local hosts list that redirected internet access to additional malware
bearing pages. Be sure to remove these as well.
From: karinkitten on

I had the same problem with this virus. The trick to opening task
manager is to immediately hit control+alt+delete the moment the computer
shows your desktop background. The swp2009demo virus takes a moment to
load and your computer will start other regular startup programs first
like aim etc before it starts the virus program. The task manager will
come up blank until the virus loads, then end program it when it pops
up.

--
karinkitten
karinkitten's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/157017.htm