From: Art Werschulz on
Hi.

What do people recommend for synchronizing two Macs?

I use an iMac and my wife uses a MacBook. We're going to swap Macs when I go on a trip in August. Is there a Mac-ish way to copy my home directory from one machine to the other? (I could always use a recursive cp, making sure to copy dotfiles and maintain access dates. I was just curious about something simpler.)

Thanks.

--
Art Werschulz (agw STRUDEL comcast.net)
.... insert clever quote here ...

From: John McWilliams on
Art Werschulz wrote:
> Hi.
>
> What do people recommend for synchronizing two Macs?
>
> I use an iMac and my wife uses a MacBook. We're going to swap Macs when I go on a trip in August. Is there a Mac-ish way to copy my home directory from one machine to the other? (I could always use a recursive cp, making sure to copy dotfiles and maintain access dates. I was just curious about something simpler.)

You should say how much drive space, and free drive space on both
machines; also whether this is permanent or you'll be switching back. Do
either of you have extensive image or music files?

--
john mcwilliams
From: Wes Groleau on
On 06-23-2010 22:17, Michelle Steiner wrote:
> In article<m2vd99yyfm.fsf(a)comcast.net>, Art Werschulz<agw(a)comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I use an iMac and my wife uses a MacBook. We're going to swap Macs when I go
>> on a trip in August. Is there a Mac-ish way to copy my home directory from
>> one machine to the other? (I could always use a recursive cp, making sure to
>> copy dotfiles and maintain access dates. I was just curious about something
>> simpler.)
>
> Use migration assistant.

Or drag and drop

--
Wes Groleau

Up-coming lesson on explicit grammar instruction
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/barrett?itemid=1589
From: BreadWithSpam on
Wes Groleau <Groleau+news(a)FreeShell.org> writes:
> On 06-23-2010 22:17, Michelle Steiner wrote:
> > In article<m2vd99yyfm.fsf(a)comcast.net>, Art Werschulz<agw(a)comcast.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I use an iMac and my wife uses a MacBook. We're going to swap
> >> Macs when I go on a trip in August. Is there a Mac-ish way to
> >> copy my home directory from one machine to the other? (I could
> >> always use a recursive cp, making sure to copy dotfiles and
> >> maintain access dates. I was just curious about something
> >> simpler.)
> >
> > Use migration assistant.
>
> Or drag and drop

Or if you don't need to swap everything but just want to have
some stuff synchronized between the two machines, use DropBox.

I use both a laptop and a desktop machine and anything I want
access to on both, I keep in Dropbox.

It has the added benefit of giving me offsite backup.

From: Howard Brazee on
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 22:08:45 -0400, Art Werschulz <agw(a)comcast.net>
wrote:

>Hi.
>
>What do people recommend for synchronizing two Macs?
>
>I use an iMac and my wife uses a MacBook. We're going to swap Macs when I go on a trip in August. Is there a Mac-ish way to copy my home directory from one machine to the other? (I could always use a recursive cp, making sure to copy dotfiles and maintain access dates. I was just curious about something simpler.)
>
>Thanks.

I use Chronosync to copy many of my wife's directories to my computer.

- James Madison