From: Marcy on
Horray. Simple enough. I actually thought of MOVING the boot.ini file to the
correct location but I did nt want to risk messing up. Thanks. Now I can
proceed with my malware cleanup.
Thanks to all.

--
Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

From: John John - MVP on
Marcy wrote:
> Horray. Simple enough. I actually thought of MOVING the boot.ini file to the
> correct location but I did nt want to risk messing up. Thanks. Now I can
> proceed with my malware cleanup.
> Thanks to all.

You're welcome.

John
From: Jose on
On Dec 15, 12:50 pm, "Marcy" <nos...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> Jose:
> I have long ago unhidden my files and folders (hence was able to see the
> boot.ini.bak file and rename it) from the folder view tab-
> What I can't do is UNCHECK the safeboot box in msconfig because its not
> there to uncheck.
> You said that " The boot.ini needs to be in C:\" .....well the boot.ini was
> not in  C:\ but rather this area: C:\windows.
> While I await for some answers from you all,  I am doing a AVG scan.

Well, that is not where it is supposed to be of course.

What part of my instructions were incorrect - tell me what was wrong
so I can fix it so it is more clear the next time!

I think I said after you are sure you are in C:\WINDOWS (which you
were)...

cd \
attrib -shr boot.ini
ren boot.ini boot.ini.bak

From: John John - MVP on
Jose wrote:
> On Dec 15, 12:50 pm, "Marcy" <nos...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
>> Jose:
>> I have long ago unhidden my files and folders (hence was able to see the
>> boot.ini.bak file and rename it) from the folder view tab-
>> What I can't do is UNCHECK the safeboot box in msconfig because its not
>> there to uncheck.
>> You said that " The boot.ini needs to be in C:\" .....well the boot.ini was
>> not in C:\ but rather this area: C:\windows.
>> While I await for some answers from you all, I am doing a AVG scan.
>>

> Well, that is not where it is supposed to be of course.
>
> What part of my instructions were incorrect - tell me what was wrong
> so I can fix it so it is more clear the next time!
>
> I think I said after you are sure you are in C:\WINDOWS (which you
> were)...
>
> cd \
> attrib -shr boot.ini
> ren boot.ini boot.ini.bak

The commands run in the current folder, you need to cd to the root
folder or use a fully qualified path.

John