From: Marcy on
I have suceeded in rebooting my machine to norm windows mode. I renamed the
file from boot.ini.bak to boot.ini OR boot.ini file>>>> And now I am stuck
on the following: When I go to run>msconfig>system config utility, the
boot.ini tab is not showing. So I am unable to UNCHECK the 'safeboot' box
becasue that tab is not there.
TAsk manager has been disabled by the malware. ugh
_____________

--
Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

From: John John - MVP on
The boot.ini tab isn't showing in the Msconfig utility because the
boot.ini file is not in its proper location, the file has to be in the
root of the system drive, usually C:\, alongside the NTDETECT.COM &
ntldr files.

John

From: Jose on
On Dec 15, 10:12 am, "Marcy" <nos...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> I have suceeded in rebooting my machine to norm windows mode. I renamed the
> file from boot.ini.bak to boot.ini OR boot.ini file>>>> And now I am stuck
> on the following: When I go to run>msconfig>system config utility, the
> boot.ini tab is not showing. So I am unable to UNCHECK the 'safeboot' box
> becasue that tab is not there.
> TAsk manager has been disabled by the malware. ugh
> _____________
>
> --
> Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !"Marcy" <nos...(a)nospam.net> wrote in message

> > Unfortunetly, that is what my prob has been all this time. No matter what
> > I do, I cant get out of the area the windows adv options OR the other one
> > that other one that looks like that one ( both have black background and
> > white letters with options like: Safe mode, S-mode with networking, S-mode
> > with Command prompt, Last known, etc.) No matter which of these I select,
> > it trys to reboot and ends up back to this screen.
>
> > Getting into the Phoenix Bios (pressing F10) is the only thing that I have
> > been able to do that is different (not inc when using the CD)-And that
> > area is not black background with white letters, but rather bluish old
> > fashioned looking text and boxes.
>
> > I tried what you said (F12 then F8) >took me to the advanced screen again.
> > Tried normal and safe mode start up. It did the same thing its been
> > doing>>>>>the reboot pattern that takes me back to this screen.
>
> > Like I told Jose, I have the CD that came with my Laptop and I can not
> > rename the boot.ini file so that I can reboot in norm mode so that I can
> > UNCHECK the box in Msconfig.......Once I do that,I can start cleaning up
> > the malware  and get my laptop scanned.
> > Any other things I can try???
> > Luckly I have a desktop pc I can use to read all this .
> > Thanks
>
> > --
> > Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !
> > "DanielBlackmore" <DanielBlackmore.438...(a)no.email.invalid> wrote in
> > messagenews:DanielBlackmore.438k3r(a)no.email.invalid...
>
> >> Does it work if you use the Advanced Menu option?
>
> >> When the PC is starting up (When you see Press F12 to enter BIOS) if
> >> you tap F8 a few times you should enter the Windows Advanced Options
> >> menu.
>
> >> Scroll down to "Safe Mode" and hit enter and it should boot into Safe
> >> Mode

You need to be sure to use explorer after booting to rename
boot.ini.bak to boot.ini. msconfig can't find it...

If you cannot see the boot.ini file, in Explorer navigate to C:\,
click View, Folder Options, tick "Show hidden files and folders" and
UNtick Hide extensions for known file types.

The boot.ini needs to be in C:\

You almost got it!

Be sure to run those scans.
From: Marcy on
Jose:
I have long ago unhidden my files and folders (hence was able to see the
boot.ini.bak file and rename it) from the folder view tab-
What I can't do is UNCHECK the safeboot box in msconfig because its not
there to uncheck.
You said that " The boot.ini needs to be in C:\" .....well the boot.ini was
not in C:\ but rather this area: C:\windows.
While I await for some answers from you all, I am doing a AVG scan.

John:
you said: The boot.ini tab isn't showing in the Msconfig utility because the
boot.ini file is not in its proper location, the file has to be in the
root of the system drive, usually C:\, alongside the NTDETECT.COM &
ntldr files.

Me: How do I get it back to the Msconfig Utility OR do I really need to do
this. I need to UNCHECK the safeboot box in Msconfig or wherever I can do
this. If I were to shut down my pc before I do this, I will have to do all
these steps over again (recovery consel) and fear damage to my pc can
happen.

I thank you and all for your help and patience.

From: John John - MVP on
Marcy wrote:

> John:
> you said: The boot.ini tab isn't showing in the Msconfig utility because the
> boot.ini file is not in its proper location, the file has to be in the
> root of the system drive, usually C:\, alongside the NTDETECT.COM &
> ntldr files.
>
> Me: How do I get it back to the Msconfig Utility OR do I really need to do
> this. I need to UNCHECK the safeboot box in Msconfig or wherever I can do
> this. If I were to shut down my pc before I do this, I will have to do all
> these steps over again (recovery consel) and fear damage to my pc can
> happen.

You said that you found a copy of it in C:\windows, copy it from there
to C:\. Msconfig looks for the boot.ini file in the root of the system
drive, if the file isn't there msconfig doesn't display the boot.ini tab.

John