From: Tony Johansson on
Hi

I just wonder if it's correct to use the term instansiating in this example
Thread myCurrectThread = Thread.CurrentThread;
I mean there seems to be more correct to use the term instansiating when I
use the new keyword and really create a new object.

Here I just use the reference myCurrectThread to point to the currect
Thread.

//Tony

From: Family Tree Mike on
On 5/8/2010 10:15 AM, Tony Johansson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just wonder if it's correct to use the term instansiating in this example
> Thread myCurrectThread = Thread.CurrentThread;
> I mean there seems to be more correct to use the term instansiating when I
> use the new keyword and really create a new object.
>
> Here I just use the reference myCurrectThread to point to the currect
> Thread.
>
> //Tony

You are copying a reference. Instantiate is defined as creating an
instance, which as you correctly state, you are not doing.

--
Mike
From: Arne Vajhøj on
On 08-05-2010 10:15, Tony Johansson wrote:
> I just wonder if it's correct to use the term instansiating in this example
> Thread myCurrectThread = Thread.CurrentThread;
> I mean there seems to be more correct to use the term instansiating when I
> use the new keyword and really create a new object.
>
> Here I just use the reference myCurrectThread to point to the currect
> Thread.

You are not instantiating a new object.

You are only getting a reference to an existing object.

This is a common term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instantiation_%28computer_science%29

says:

"Creating an instance of a class is sometimes referred to as
instantiating the class."

Arne