From: Eduardo on
Hi John,
How do you get Carlson, Glen from Gcarls, this is what we need you to
explain us in order to help you

From: John on
gcarls is his logon name in our system and will never change. I get reports
that list things he does by his logon name and I want to convert it to his
full name.
--
John

From: Mike H on
John.

We really do want to help but your not providing sufficient information.

> gcarls is his logon name in our system and will never change.

What is 'our system'?

> I get reports that list things he does by his logon name

Where are these reports coming from? What is the reporting tool?

Does 'the system' or 'Excel' have a table somewhere that lists full names
and logon names? If it does you can query that table with a lookup in the way
Eduardo showed you.

In short, unless you have such a table that is available to Excel then what
your asking can't be done.

--
Mike

question.

From: John on
I get raw data from our server - sent by a tech person - the tech person
can't provide me more than this - this raw data is sent in an excel
spreadsheet. gcarls is one of 13-14 staff memebrs who are idnetified in the
raw data by their logon names - for logon to our server and in to a specific
custom program where they enter data regarding their activities. I can
create a table of these logon names say in col A and their full names in col
B - no big problem there.
--
John

From: Mike H on
John,

> I get raw data from our server - sent by a tech person - the tech person
> can't provide me more than this -

Then it seems as if the 'server' doesn't hold a table of these nsames so you
need to create your own in 2 columns in Excel. Col A = Logion name & Col B
real name and then this formula

=VLOOKUP(C2,A2:B17,2,FALSE)
--
Mike