From: John on
I'll try this again as I accidentally hit the enter key after typing the
subject. In a spreadsheet I have all of my staff listed by their abbreviated
names used to identify them on our server. I want to be able to convert
there abbreviated names like "gcarls" to "Carlson, Glen". I think one of the
If formualtions will work but I'm having difficulty. Can anyone please tell
me how to do this?
--
John
From: T. Valko on
See this:

http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

From: Mike H on
John,

How do we establish that gcarls becomes Carlson, Glen?

Why for example doesn't that same username become Carlton, Geoff or any
other variation?
--
Mike

question.

From: Eduardo on
Hi,
Let's assume you have a list of full names in sheet2 in column A and the
abbreviate name in column B, then in sheet 1 you have the abbreviate names in
column A, so in column B enter

=index(sheet2!$A$1:$A$10000,match(a1,$B$1:$B$10000,0))

From: John on
To be clearer, what really want to do is find each incidence of "gcarls" in a
column and have each instance converted/replaced with "Carlson, Glen"
--
John