From: "Gil Alsberg" gil@"remove on
I know this was discussed already many times in this NG, but I can't find
those posts..... How do I set SolidWorks to be able to use 3GB of memory?

Thanks,
Gil

From: Engineer on
Dear Gil,

Here is that mail I recevd a long ago, I hope it will be useful to you

The Perils of Trying to Overcome the 2GB Memory
Limit - Part I

By Ed Eaton

(Editor's Note: The top tip of 2004! This three-part series was by far
the most popular user tip of last year. We thought it deserved a
reprint for those who may have missed all or part of it. Ed Eaton kicks
it off with Part 1. Check back next week for Wayne Tiffany's
continuation in Part 2).

If you crash SolidWorks or PhotoWorks because of insufficient memory,
purchasing more RAM for your computer is only part of the solution.

No matter how much memory you have, or how big your virtual memory,
Windows will not allow you to use more than 2GB for a single
application.

On top of that, the 2GB is theoretical. In practice, applications crash
when memory usage reaches about 1.6-1.7 GB. This of course will stop
you cold if you are working on large assemblies, or on PhotoWorks
renderings.

Because of the 32-bit operating system, the mathematical limit for
total memory (physical and virtual memory) is 4GB. By default, Windows
reserves half of that total for itself!

SolidWorks is written to take advantage of the 3GB switch. This switch
allows Windows XP Pro and some server applications to override the 2GB
limit and free up to 3GB of that expensive RAM you've been buying for
your systems.

Unfortunately, when our company attempted to follow the instructions as
presented, we permanently prevented our system from rebooting.

After a great deal of extra research, we found that enabling the 3GB
switch requires that you know a poorly documented two-step process.

The first poorly documented problem is that the 3GB switch is not
working in Windows XP Pro, Service pack 1 (that's why the system locked
up)! To get a hotfix that corrects the issue, you have to call (800)
936-4900 and get to the "hotfix" people. Don't get spooked by
Microsoft's statement that they will charge $245 for tech support -
hotfixes are free.
Let the person on the phone know the problem has to do with the 3GB
switch.

The link for that article is
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328269&Product=winxp.
Microsoft will e-mail you a hotfix that carries no warranty and is not
recommended for use in a production setting unless you thoroughly test
it. But, for the record, it worked for us, and I have not experienced
any problems in the three months I've had it on my machine.

After running the hotfix, enabling the 3GB switch is not as simple as
checking a box in a dialogue. You have to dig into your boot.ini file
and modify it.
The boot.ini file is on the top level of your C: drive, but to make it
visible you have to go through Windows Explorer Options, Tools, Folder
Options, View and select "Show hidden files and folders" and deselect
"Hide protected operating system files."
The text of your boot.ini file may not match the sample shown. For
reference, here is what I had to do with my boot.ini file:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
Professional" /3GB /fastdetect

A final warning: Yes, enabling the 3GB switch has worked for us and
allows us to use up to 2.7GB of RAM before locking up SolidWorks or
PhotoWorks. We are now able to perform tasks that were simply not
possible before the modification. But as with any time we hack our
systems for performance, there are risks. Before starting on this
process, I made a complete backup of my boot drive than I could plug in
and use if things went south.

The Perils of Trying to Overcome the 2GB Memory
Limit - Part 2

By Wayne Tiffany

Editor's Note: The top tip of 2004! This three-part series was by far
the most popular user tip of last year. We thought it deserved a
reprint for those who may have missed all or part of it. Ed Eaton
kicked it off last week with a discussion of utilizing the 3GB switch
with Win XP. This week, Wayne Tiffany follows up by trying the 3GB
switch on three machines with precious little RAM. Check back next week
for Wayne's thrilling conclusion in Part 3.

I had read a bit about the 3GB switch in the past, but never really
pursued it. However, after reviewing Ed's article before publication,
it occurred to me that maybe this would even help a machine with only
1GB of physical memory, and this information would be a valuable
addition to the article. So I asked Ed - he didn't know.

The next logical step, then, was to figure out if there could be any
benefit to a machine without gobs of RAM. The thought of a virtually
free "upgrade" intrigued me, so I decided to find out.

The testing was all carried out by telling SolidWorks to load a huge
file - certainly more than could be expected to fit, and was run on the
different machines with various configurations. At the point that
SolidWorks gave up due to lack of available memory, the amount utilized
was recorded. Then the machine was rebooted and the next iteration was
run.

One very important point to make - heed Ed's advice about applying the
patch to WinXP SP1. If you turn on the 3GB switch without the patch,
the machine will not boot! How do I know for sure?

Embarrassingly, I must admit that in my exuberance to pursue more
positive results, on one machine, I turned on the switch before the
patch. Not so bad, I figured, just boot on a DOS floppy and modify the
boot.ini file again. However with the SCSI drive in the machine, the
drivers didn't load with the DOS boot, so the C drive was not
accessible. The get-it-running-again solution was to install the hard
drive on another machine as a second SCSI drive, and edit the boot.ini
file from there to turn off the 3GB switch. Then back to its home, and
this time, do it right. Note: you don't have to find & edit the
Boot.ini file by itself with a text editor; you can do it through
Windows by doing a right-click on My Computer, then selecting
Advanced/Startup and Recovery Settings. There you will see a line that
says, "To edit the startup options file manually, click Edit." Click on
the button and it opens the file for you.

So, take a look at the results (the number recorded is the Total amount
of RAM in the Commit Charge box), and decide if this is something you
want to try. The bottom line of my testing was that making the changes
did, in fact, give SolidWorks 2004 another GB of working space, even on
a machine with only
From: Wayne Tiffany on
http://www.kcswug.com/documents/3gb_switch_part_one,_two,_&_three.pdf

WT

From: Engineer on
sorry forgot to poste the links

part one: http://www.swcommunity.com/feature_full.php?cpfeatureid=4372

part two: http://www.swcommunity.com/feature_full.php?cpfeatureid=4475

Regards

Deepak Gupta

From: "Gil Alsberg" gil@"remove on
Deepak,
Thanks for replying.
According to Wayne's and Ed's descriptions and details -this sounds pretty
spooky!! I think I've got cold feet, and will not attempt to mess with the
boot.ini file, it just sounds too scary!

Thanks anyway,
Gil