From: Andy Botterill on
crn(a)NOSPAM.netunix.com wrote:
> Andy Botterill <andy(a)plymouth2.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> I follow the comp.lang.verilog newsgroup. Around the 28th september I
>> stopped getting news articles. My news supplier is gradwell. I deleted
>> all newsgroup filters with no effect. After doing offline->Download/sync
>> now on all of the newsgroups I subscribe to I have started to get
>> newsgroup articles. News is behaving strangely. I get 11 unread messages
>> for comp.lang.vhdl I click on the newsgroup and then there are no unread
>> articles. Something strange is going on.
>
> This was caused by a problem at the (now outsourced) news.gradwell.net.
> The problem seems to have gone away, just doctor the counts in
> ~/.newsrc to sort it out for tin or slrn, not sure if this works for
> thunderbird.

In my newsrc file I see the newsgroup name and then a list of numbers. I
presume that I need to reduce or delete the last number. Is that the
correct way to do it? I tried the rebuild index option for each newgroup
and nothing much happened. The problem remains.

> More of the sorry tale in uk.net.providers.gradwell.

They aren't happy oh dear.
From: chris on
Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 22:49:05 +0100, Andy Botterill wrote:
>
>> I follow the comp.lang.verilog newsgroup. Around the 28th september I
>> stopped getting news articles. My news supplier is gradwell. I deleted
>> all newsgroup filters with no effect. After doing offline->Download/sync
>> now on all of the newsgroups I subscribe to I have started to get
>> newsgroup articles. News is behaving strangely. I get 11 unread messages
>> for comp.lang.vhdl I click on the newsgroup and then there are no unread
>> articles. Something strange is going on.
>>
> I stopped using Thunderbird for USENET when it did similar things to me
> and switched to Pan instead.
>
> I'd suggest you do likewise.

I can't say I've had any problems. I like being able to use the same
app. for usenet and email, it seems sensible to me. The filtering could
be improved, but it does work well in my hands. I only subscribe to four
NGs so I'm not a heavy user.

As an aside I'd recommend the free eternal september server (was
motzarella):
http://www.eternal-september.org/
From: crn on
Andy Botterill <andy(a)plymouth2.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In my newsrc file I see the newsgroup name and then a list of numbers. I
> presume that I need to reduce or delete the last number. Is that the
> correct way to do it? I tried the rebuild index option for each newgroup
> and nothing much happened. The problem remains.

Yes, just reduce the last number.

From: Andy Botterill on
crn(a)NOSPAM.netunix.com wrote:
> Andy Botterill <andy(a)plymouth2.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> In my newsrc file I see the newsgroup name and then a list of numbers. I
>> presume that I need to reduce or delete the last number. Is that the
>> correct way to do it? I tried the rebuild index option for each newgroup
>> and nothing much happened. The problem remains.
>
> Yes, just reduce the last number.

I removed a range of numbers at the end of the affected newsgroups. This
made it work and also fixed some of the other newsgroups as well.
Normality has been achieved. Thank you very much Andy
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 08:33:04 +0100, Andy Botterill wrote:

> I got this PC probably 2 years ago and and went from FC4 to FC8. How
> easy is it to upgrade the o/s I've generally done it on a blank hard
> disk/new system. I am thinking about buyng a new laptop so that has made
> me think about a later release. Let me check what o/s my design software
> is reported to work on.

IME Fedora upgrades have been dog slow and a proportion of them don't
work properly, so I always do a clean install now, but there are ways to
make that easy:

1) Make sure /home is in a separate partition which is never reformatted.

2) if you have anything in /usr/local, move the whole structure to
/home/local and replace it with a symlink - $PATH doesn't know the
difference. After a fresh install, "rm -rf /usr/local" and replace
it with the symlink to /home/local.

3) If you run Sun Java, do exactly the same with /usr/java as you did
with /usr/local and make sure your own and 3rd party JAR files are
somewhere in /home

4) every time you hand modify a file in /etc, put a copy somewhere
in /home. These can be checked in case the associated package has
grown extra parameters and dropped back into /etc after a clean
install.

5) Keep a list of all non-standard packages you installed and where
they came from. If this list takes the form of a script kept
somewhere in /home even better: just run it after the clean install
to add the additional repositories into yum and pick up the packages.

6) The first trick after the clean install is to fire up the User/Group
maintenance applet and put all your login users back with the exact
same uid and gid as they had previously.

Actually, this deserves to go into the aforementioned script in (5).
I'll do that for the next clean install when I can easily see the list
of users and groups to be reinstated.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK