From: Andy Botterill on
I follow the comp.lang.verilog newsgroup. Around the 28th september I
stopped getting news articles. My news supplier is gradwell. I deleted
all newsgroup filters with no effect. After doing offline->Download/sync
now on all of the newsgroups I subscribe to I have started to get
newsgroup articles. News is behaving strangely. I get 11 unread messages
for comp.lang.vhdl I click on the newsgroup and then there are no unread
articles. Something strange is going on.

Is there any way to set the clock back by a week and reloading all of my
subscribed newsgroups? What sort of things can cause this?

I'm using fedora 8 and thunderbird 2.0.0.19 . Thanks in advance for any
help. Andy

PS: I did have to re-start my ADSL connection around the time that this
happened. e-mail is working normally.
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 22:49:05 +0100, Andy Botterill wrote:

> I follow the comp.lang.verilog newsgroup. Around the 28th september I
> stopped getting news articles. My news supplier is gradwell. I deleted
> all newsgroup filters with no effect. After doing offline->Download/sync
> now on all of the newsgroups I subscribe to I have started to get
> newsgroup articles. News is behaving strangely. I get 11 unread messages
> for comp.lang.vhdl I click on the newsgroup and then there are no unread
> articles. Something strange is going on.

I stopped using Thunderbird for USENET when it did similar things to me
and switched to Pan instead.

I'd suggest you do likewise.

My experience with Pan was less then delightful, especially when it
forgot that it had been configured with a UK English dictionary and
refused to resume using it. The final straw was when, for the second
time, it lost all my NG subscriptions - something that could only be
recovered by deleting the .thunderbird directory structure and
effectively reinstalling from scratch. I'm just amazed that, when
Firebird is so good, Thunderbird should be such a POS.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Ivor Jones on
On 02/10/09 01:47, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 22:49:05 +0100, Andy Botterill wrote:
>
>> I follow the comp.lang.verilog newsgroup. Around the 28th september I
>> stopped getting news articles. My news supplier is gradwell. I deleted
>> all newsgroup filters with no effect. After doing offline->Download/sync
>> now on all of the newsgroups I subscribe to I have started to get
>> newsgroup articles. News is behaving strangely. I get 11 unread messages
>> for comp.lang.vhdl I click on the newsgroup and then there are no unread
>> articles. Something strange is going on.
>>
> I stopped using Thunderbird for USENET when it did similar things to me
> and switched to Pan instead.
>
> I'd suggest you do likewise.
>
> My experience with Pan was less then delightful, especially when it
> forgot that it had been configured with a UK English dictionary and
> refused to resume using it. The final straw was when, for the second
> time, it lost all my NG subscriptions - something that could only be
> recovered by deleting the .thunderbird directory structure and
> effectively reinstalling from scratch. I'm just amazed that, when
> Firebird is so good, Thunderbird should be such a POS.

No problems here with Fedora 11 & TB 3.0b3 but I did read in
uk.net.providers.gradwell that there have been problems with their news
servers lately so maybe it's that and not your system. Look in that
group for info, it's late and I don't remember details offhand.

Ivor

PS why Fedora 8, that's going back a bit, isn't it..?!

From: crn on
Andy Botterill <andy(a)plymouth2.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I follow the comp.lang.verilog newsgroup. Around the 28th september I
> stopped getting news articles. My news supplier is gradwell. I deleted
> all newsgroup filters with no effect. After doing offline->Download/sync
> now on all of the newsgroups I subscribe to I have started to get
> newsgroup articles. News is behaving strangely. I get 11 unread messages
> for comp.lang.vhdl I click on the newsgroup and then there are no unread
> articles. Something strange is going on.

This was caused by a problem at the (now outsourced) news.gradwell.net.
The problem seems to have gone away, just doctor the counts in
~/.newsrc to sort it out for tin or slrn, not sure if this works for
thunderbird.

More of the sorry tale in uk.net.providers.gradwell.

From: Andy Botterill on
Ivor Jones wrote:
> On 02/10/09 01:47, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 22:49:05 +0100, Andy Botterill wrote:
>>
>>> I follow the comp.lang.verilog newsgroup. Around the 28th september I
>>> stopped getting news articles. My news supplier is gradwell. I deleted
>>> all newsgroup filters with no effect. After doing offline->Download/sync
>>> now on all of the newsgroups I subscribe to I have started to get
>>> newsgroup articles. News is behaving strangely. I get 11 unread messages
>>> for comp.lang.vhdl I click on the newsgroup and then there are no unread
>>> articles. Something strange is going on.
>>>
>> I stopped using Thunderbird for USENET when it did similar things to me
>> and switched to Pan instead.
>>

> No problems here with Fedora 11 & TB 3.0b3 but I did read in
> uk.net.providers.gradwell that there have been problems with their news

Ah that would explain it. There was lost connections reported on the
gradwell site but nothing about usenet.

> servers lately so maybe it's that and not your system. Look in that
> group for info, it's late and I don't remember details offhand.
>
> Ivor
>
> PS why Fedora 8, that's going back a bit, isn't it..?!

I got this PC probably 2 years ago and and went from FC4 to FC8. How
easy is it to upgrade the o/s I've generally done it on a blank hard
disk/new system. I am thinking about buyng a new laptop so that has made
me think about a later release. Let me check what o/s my design software
is reported to work on.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: MP3 players