From: KenSheridan via AccessMonster.com on
Tom:

Firstly paste the function into any standard module. If it's a new module
save it under a different name from the function, e.g. mdlDateTimeStuff.

Then open the query designer and switch to SQL view. Paste in the SQL
statement in place of whatever is there and change the two instances of
'YourTable' to whatever is the real table name. Assuming the column names
are exactly as you posted them you shouldn't need to change anything else.

If it still doesn't recognize the function, which can sometimes happen when
a function is pasted in, change the name of the function to something
different like TimeElapsed. You'll need to change it in each place it occurs
in the function's code, and in the SQL statement of the query.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

From: Tom on
Ken,

Thank You for the fast reply!
your solution was a bulls eye!
renaming the module to "mdDateTimesStuff" was the problem.

Thank You so very much

From: Tom on
How could I eliminate the "day" factor and not show any results over a 24
hour time span?

I am calculating snow removal job times as well as my employee start and end
time on a "as needed" basis that would never span past an 8 hour day

Thank you very much!!!

Tom

From: KenSheridan via AccessMonster.com on
Tom:

Are you saying ignore any results where the difference between the times is
more than 8 hours so as not to return those where the query would be
subtracting the previous end time from a start time? If so try this:

SELECT barcode, Qty, date_time,
TimeDuration(
(SELECT MAX(date_time)
FROM YourTable As T2
WHERE T2.barcode = T1.barcode
AND T2.date_time < T1.date_time),
date_time) As ElapsedTime
FROM YourTable As T1
WHERE DateDiff("h",
(SELECT MAX(date_time)
FROM YourTable As T3
WHERE T3.barcode = T1.barcode
AND T3.date_time < T1.date_time),
date_time)) <= 8
ORDER BY barcode, date_time DESC;

You might want to increase the restriction from 8 to something higher to
allow some leeway. The value needs to be greater than the maximum worked
time for a shift, and less than the minimum time between an employee ending
one shift and starting the next. If I've misunderstood perhaps you could
give an example of some rows and what you'd want returned.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

From: Tom on

Ken,

You are dead on! thank you so very much.

I was trying to wright the queries using the datediff but couldn't figure
out how or where to place it in the sql without errors.

May I donate to your cause?

Thanks again

Tom
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last