From: cerr on
On Mar 10, 4:23 pm, Ian Collins <ian-n...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/11/10 12:58 PM, cerr wrote:
>

> > That seems to work quite well but can't verify right now cause i do
> > not have a server to connect to at the moment....:(
>
> VirtualBox is your friend!

Yeah, I got virtual box going here...is there a shell command line
server i could use? I understand that it is very simple to write ( i
would just put down a little perl script probably) but i'm thinking if
there is no application available already as this seems to be a very
common thing that's required...?

From: Nicolas George on
cerr wrote in message
<f0a2f0ce-2c3f-4fc9-a0d9-4a1785d894b9(a)u19g2000prh.googlegroups.com>:
> Yeah, I got virtual box going here...is there a shell command line
> server i could use?

I'm not sure what you are asking exactly here, but I think socat may be the
answer.

(netcat would be too, but socat is so much more powerful)
From: cerr on
On Mar 11, 9:19 am, Nicolas George <nicolas$geo...(a)salle-s.org> wrote:
> cerr  wrote in message
>
> <f0a2f0ce-2c3f-4fc9-a0d9-4a1785d89...(a)u19g2000prh.googlegroups.com>:
>
> > Yeah, I got virtual box going here...is there a shell command line
> > server i could use?
>
> I'm not sure what you are asking exactly here, but I think socat may be the
> answer.
>
> (netcat would be too, but socat is so much more powerful)

No I don't think these tools are the answer. I'm looking for a utility
that is listening on a certain port for incoming data where as socat
and netcat are here as a client to send data to a server....i'm
looking for the server/listener utility...
From: Nicolas George on
cerr wrote in message
<b851d760-8f5d-4ff8-b136-5d80f485328c(a)b9g2000pri.googlegroups.com>:
> No I don't think these tools are the answer. I'm looking for a utility
> that is listening on a certain port for incoming data where as socat
> and netcat are here as a client to send data to a server....i'm
> looking for the server/listener utility...

socat(1):

TCP-LISTEN:<port>
Listens on <port> [TCP service] and accepts a TCP/IP connection.
The IP version is 4 or the one specified with address option pf,
socat option (-4, -6), or environment variable
SOCAT_DEFAULT_LISTEN_IP. Note that opening this address usually
blocks until a client connects.
Option groups: FD,SOCKET,LISTEN,CHILD,RANGE,IP4,IP6,TCP,RETRY
Useful options: crnl, fork, bind, range, tcpwrap, pf, backlog,
mss, su, reuseaddr, retry, cool-write
See also: TCP4-LISTEN, TCP6-LISTEN, UDP-LISTEN, SCTP-LISTEN,
UNIX-LISTEN, OPENSSL-LISTEN, TCP-CONNECT

nc(1):

-l listen mode, for inbound connects

Something like that, then?
From: Rick Jones on
cerr <ron.eggler(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> No I don't think these tools are the answer. I'm looking for a
> utility that is listening on a certain port for incoming data where
> as socat and netcat are here as a client to send data to a
> server....i'm looking for the server/listener utility...

Just fire-up an (x)inetd with one of the discard, echo or chargen
services enabled.

rick jones
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: #include file <iostream.h> not found.
Next: Athena widgets