From: DawnTreader on
Hello All

i need a little help trying to get this to work

i have 3 sets of lables for 3 different languages for my fields. i am trying
to use a variable stored in a combo box on a floating always open form to
determine which language label should show. what is wrong with this code?

Private Sub frmLanguage()
Dim ctl As Control
Dim frmUserLanguage As String
Dim lblLanguage As String

frmUserLanguage = Forms!frmMainMenu.Form!cboEmployee.Column(18)

MsgBox frmUserLanguage

For Each ctl In Me.Controls
If ctl.ControlType = acLabel Then
lblLanguage = ctl.Tag
MsgBox lblLanguage
Select Case lblLanguage
Case lblLanguage = frmUserLanguage
ctl.Visible = True
Case lblLanguage = "Always"
ctl.Visible = True
Case Else
ctl.Visible = False
End Select
End If
Next
End Sub

--
As always, any and all help appreciated! :)
From: DawnTreader on
doh!

figured it out, thanks any ways.

Private Sub frmLanguage()
Dim ctl As Control
Dim frmUserLanguage As String
Dim lblLanguage As String

frmUserLanguage = Forms!frmMainMenu!cboEmployee.Column(18)

For Each ctl In Me.Controls
If ctl.ControlType = acLabel Then
lblLanguage = ctl.Tag
Select Case lblLanguage
Case frmUserLanguage
ctl.Visible = True
Case "Always"
ctl.Visible = True
Case Else
ctl.Visible = False
End Select
End If
Next
End Sub

From: Marshall Barton on
DawnTreader wrote:
>i have 3 sets of lables for 3 different languages for my fields. i am trying
>to use a variable stored in a combo box on a floating always open form to
>determine which language label should show. what is wrong with this code?
>
>Private Sub frmLanguage()
> Dim ctl As Control
> Dim frmUserLanguage As String
> Dim lblLanguage As String
>
> frmUserLanguage = Forms!frmMainMenu.Form!cboEmployee.Column(18)
>
> MsgBox frmUserLanguage
>
> For Each ctl In Me.Controls
> If ctl.ControlType = acLabel Then
> lblLanguage = ctl.Tag
> MsgBox lblLanguage
> Select Case lblLanguage
> Case lblLanguage = frmUserLanguage
> ctl.Visible = True
> Case lblLanguage = "Always"
> ctl.Visible = True
> Case Else
> ctl.Visible = False
> End Select
> End If
> Next
>End Sub

Your Case statments us invalis syntax. Try something more
like:

Select Case lblLanguage
Case frmUserLanguage, "Always"
ctl.Visible = True
Case Else
ctl.Visible = False
End Select

Or, more concisely:

ctl.Visible = lblLanguage = frmUserLanguage _
Or lblLanguage = "Always"

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]
From: DawnTreader on
Huh?

are you saying i could do away with the select statement altogether?

From: Douglas J. Steele on
Yes, that's what Marsh is saying

For Each ctl In Me.Controls
If ctl.ControlType = acLabel Then
lblLanguage = ctl.Tag
MsgBox lblLanguage

ctl.Visible = ((lblLanguage = frmUserLanguage) _
Or (lblLanguage = "Always"))
End If
Next ctl

--